Friday, May 20, 2011

The Preaching of His Word and the Praising of His Name - PART 112

Pray you therefore that the Lord of the harvest would send forth labourers into His harvest. Why? Because the harvest truly is plenteous but the labourers are few. Indeed, there are multitudes of people who need to hear the gospel of Jesus.  And multitudes in the valley of decision. The question is this. How can they hear the gospel of Jesus without a preacher or preach this gospel except they be sent? This is why the scriptures state, "How beautiful are the feet of them who preach the gospel of peace."

“We have heard the Macedonian call today -- send the light, send the light, there are souls to rescue, there are souls to save, send the light, send the light, the blessed gospel light and let it shine from shore, and let the glorious beam light the world for evermore."

Last year, I returned to my native land of birth Scotland. I had been away from my homeland for 57 years. The city where I was born Glasgow used to have a motto that stated, "Let Glasgow flourish by the preaching of His word and the Praising of His name." Unfortunately, the motto has been shortened to read - let Glasgow flourish. However, while in Glasgow, I had a opportunity to enter into an old place of worship which had recently been beautifully redone. Within this structure, the original motto was still prominent for one and all to see. This is important because God has said that the nation that honours Him shall prosper.

During this incredible two week visit, many doors were opened, giving me an opportunity to lead many people to the saving knowledge of our great God and only Saviour Jesus. Everywhere I went hearts were open to receive the gospel of Jesus. Freely I received this good news gospel and freely I gave! Next I travelled to a small fishing village Tarbert loch fine on the west coast of Scotland. It was where I had been evacuated  because of the bombings of Clydebank during World War II. In this village I spent 10 years under the care of my dear grandmother, who every Sunday sent my sister and myself to the church of Scotland. I remember the church vividly because it was there that I always received a prize for perfect church attendance.

I went and visited that church on the Sunday morning but there were no Sunday School kids. The church had no preacher. Instead, a social worker addressed the small group. The words of the songs and hymns were gospel -- the same songs that I remember signing in days of old. Indeed, I still sing these same hymns today. Those songs impacted my young life to which I thank God. Only one thing was lacking in my early church life experience. That was the preaching of the Bread of Life -- Jesus --and the directive that one must ask God personally into their life. By the Grace of God, I was able to speak to many people, asking them to stand in the offering plate and ask God into their lives!

It was the same experience on the streets, in the stores on the quays and among the fisherman. God added to His Body those that were being saved. I travelled down the Mull of Kintyre and God opened even more doors. People seemed to appear out of nowhere. His light was shining! As the days passed, I had an opportunity in every village and town to ask people to stand in God’s offering plate and give themselves to Him with sincerity and in truth.

It is for this reason that we must pray and ask God to raise up and send labourers into His harvest field. Our world is full of people who unfortunately have never heard the glad tiding of great joy. Say these words if you are a believer. ‘Lord here I am, send me." Put in the sickle and reap. I am sowing in tears. May you reap with joy. My message to my sisters and brethren is to PREACH THE WORD! And in so doing, may the fire of the gospel light the heather again!

No comments:

Post a Comment