Thursday, March 15, 2018

And They Continued Steadfastly In The Apostles’ Doctrine And Fellowship, And In Breaking Of Bread, And In Prayers.- Part 1996

Separating the wheat from the tares is an ongoing theme in the New Testament scriptures. Most certainly, apostle Paul, who was an apostle to the non Jews [the Gentiles], in writing to the Galatians penned these words, "I marvel that some of you are so soon removed from the good news of the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ." Actually, Paul was dumbfounded that some had so quickly deserted  the faith that could only be found in the finished and completed work of Jesus. After all, was it not Jesus who purchased the free gift of salvation without works on our behalf? It is no wonder that Paul said, "O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you?"

Instead of believing the plan of salvation, and standing fast in the liberty wherewith is Christ, some are instead deliberately presenting to people another gospel. Of course, there never could be another gospel. God's plan of salvation is the same yesterday, today and forever. Unfortunately, however, certain individuals within the modern day religious culture believe that they have formulated a better plan of salvation, and in so doing, are upsetting believers by distorting the good news.

Listen carefully to Paul here, when he states that even though he himself or some angel from heaven proclaimed a gospel that contradicts the gospel message that he originally preached, God’s curse needs to be on this misguided messenger.  Scripturally, as Paul says twice, "let him be accursed!" Moreover, he asks, do you think it is man’s favour, or God’s, that I am trying to win now? Shall I be told that I am courting the good will of men? Am I canvassing for men’s support? If I were seeking to please men, then I would no longer be a servant of the Christ. The apostle does not end his message there but continues.

Indeed, I certify and remind you brethren, that the good news which I delivered to you is no mere human invention. It is not just a story that can be created and recreated depending on the audience. Why? Because the original message was not from man. Neither did Paul create the message. As he states, I received this message. I received the gospel message and learned it, not as a result of fallen man’s wisdom but through revelations from Jesus the Christ. "For it had pleased God who had set me apart even before my birth, and later called me by His grace, to reveal His Son in me. God enabled me to tell the good news to the non Jews."Ordained of God to be an apostle, the Lord confirmed and affirmed my apostleship. Paul's writings to the Galatians (in chapters 1 and 2) further elaborate on this point.

But today, as in Paul's time, there are still false prophets who want to present a different gospel message to the body of Christ church. There are still those people who challenge the doctrinal foundations and good news salvation message within the new covenant found in Hebrews 6:1-2 and Acts 2:1-47. And there are still others who want to defend the old covenant - as adherents of the old covenant law, rather than be saved by the grace of our Lord God and Saviour.

It is in these false teachings (that are contrary to the Word of God) that we challenge the positions of the established church fathers of 300AD who changed the gospel message arbitrarily. Remember, God said that He would separate the wheat from the tares.

In Galatians 2:11, we read about Peter arriving in Antioch. Paul said that he opposed him because his conduct condemned him. In fact, there he stood self condemned, his conduct being that he associated himself with the non Jews. When some Jews appeared on the scene, then Peter disassociated himself from the non Jews. Peter was fearsome of offending those who still held to circumcision.

The situation snowballed and the rest of the Jews played the hypocrite along with Peter. But not for long. Paul reacts to Peter's conduct saying, "But when I saw that they were not dealing straightforwardly with the truth of the good news, I said to Peter, before them all, if you who were born a Jew, adopt gentile customs. Instead of Jewish, why are you trying to compel the Gentile converts to adopt Jewish customs? By what right?

Why? Because we are believers in the new covenant of God in Christ Jesus. Men and women have been justified simply by faith in Jesus the Christ, and not by doing what the law commands. We ourselves have believed in Christ Jesus so as to get justified by faith in Christ and not by doing what the law commands. For by doing what the law commands, no person shall be justified. The law is simply a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ.

Observance of the law therefore cannot win acceptance for a single human creature. As far as the law is concerned, as Paul's states, I consider that I died on the cross with Christ. Nevertheless, now I live in Christ (for He put Himself in my place). I do not nullify the grace of God; for if acquittal from guilt comes through the law, then Christ has died in vain.

Specifically, "We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain." (Galatians 2:15-21)
Still, there are today those of the Jewish persuasion (and sadly, as well within the modern day religious culture) who are endeavouring to add circumcision as an addendum to the new covenant. And to these, as Paul states, are frustrating the grace of God. They have failed to understand God's plan of salvation that was in His bosom from the very beginning. That is, in Jesus we are safe forevermore. 

Indeed, Jesus is the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the ending. Jesus is the King of kings and Lord of lords. To Him be all the glory and honour and praise forever more. Yes, may all our praise be to our Lord God and Saviour Jesus the Christ, who paid the price for our sins once and for all, when He shed His precious holy blood on that cross so that we could find abundant life in Him.

Stand in the offering plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment