Wednesday, June 13, 2012

THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD - PART 445

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given: and the government will be upon his shoulder, and his name will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (Isaiah 9:6)

For those of you who might not be aware, Isaiah is a book in the Old Testament of the Bible. The words in the Old Testament were written before Jesus' birth so these verses foretold of events that were going to happen in the future. In this case, a child is going to be born that will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Today, however, we have the advantage of looking back within the scriptures to see how God's plan was weaved throughout time. How God's love for each and every one of us unfolded through the ages. By reading the New Testament, we can lay a scriptural foundation in our hearts that provides us with an inside glimpse into how the very same God who created us was willing to become flesh so that we might be saved.

In John chapter 10, Jesus said "I am the door; if any one enters by me, he will be saved." Continuing, Jesus stated, "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." When Jesus was at the feast of the Dedication at Jerusalem, He was asked by the Jews that were gathered around Him, "Are you the Christ?" Jesus answered them by saying, "I told you and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness to me but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep."

He continued in verses 27-30. Jesus said, "My sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow me and I give them eternal life and they shall never perish and no one shall snatch them out of my hand. My Father who has given them to me is greater than you all and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and my Father are one." Here the Jews took up stones again to stone Jesus for blasphemy because as the scriptures state, "you being a man [Jesus] make yourself God!" When the Jews tried to arrest Jesus, He escaped from their hands because the appointed time -- the time that was decided before the world was even formed -- had not yet come.

In John chapter 14, Jesus reiterates His earlier point. In verses 6-7, Jesus said to Thomas, "I am the way, and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also, henceforth, you know Him and have seen Him."

Philip then said to Jesus, "Lord show us the Father and we shall be satisfied." Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, "Show us the Father?" Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me, or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves."

It is in this context that we can be confident that if we ask anything in His name -- Jesus' name -- He will do it. May God richly bless you this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment