Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Everyone That Has This Hope in Jesus Purifies Himself - Part 865

"Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God; therefore, the world knows us not because it knew Him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it does not yet appear what we shall be -- but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is ... and every man that has this hope in Him purifies himself, even as He is pure." (I John 3:1-3)

Further, when we read that "whosoever is born of God does not commit sin; for His seed remains in him, and he cannot sin, because he is born of God ... [then] we know that we have passed from death unto life ... hereby perceive we the love of God -- because "He" laid down His life for us." (I John 3:9-16)

When we begin to understand how much the Lord God loves us -- to the point of recognizing that He who knew no sin became sin -- willingly taking on sin-prone flesh, shedding His precious holy blood on a cross for you and I, there should be no other response than being extremely thankful for an opportunity to walk in the cool of the day with our Lord God and Saviour. Blessed because of His perfect love and grace toward us.

And yet, too often, we can't wait to get ourselves back into the religious 'holding pen' from which Jesus set us free. In John chapter eight, Jesus is preaching, and as He spake, many believed on Him. However, in the conversation that follows, we read that even then, the "religious" and "religious culture" of the day rejected Jesus. 

Sadly, this rejection of our Lord God and Saviour within the religious community continues today. How many times have you watched someone being baptized in a church service, and yet the name of Jesus is never mentioned? (Acts 2:38-42) How often have you listen to a sermon that talks about God but never once breathes His name? 

"And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the Prince of the kings of the earth ... unto Him that loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood -- and hath made us kings and priests unto God and His Father; to Him be the glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen." (Revelation 1:5-6)

Jesus told the Jews which believed on Him, "If ye continue in My Word, then are ye My disciples indeed ... and ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:30-32)

But in the midst were those who did not accept Jesus as the King of kings and Lord of lords. They denied that Jesus was the prophesied Christ -- the Word become flesh -- the image of the invisible God. (John 1:1-18; Hebrews 1:1-14; I Timothy 3:16; Colossians 1:12-23)

Instead, these answered Him, saying, "We be Abraham's seed and were never in bondage to any man. How sayest Thou, "Ye shall be made free?" (John 8:33)

But Jesus knew their hearts. He responded, saying, "Verily, verily, I say unto you -- Whosoever commits sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abides not in the house for ever but the Son abides ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. I know that ye are Abraham's seed but ye seek to kill Me because My Word has no place in you. I speak that which I have seen with My Father; and ye do that which ye have seen with your father."

They said unto him, "Abraham is our father." (John 8:39)

Jesus said, "If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham. But now ye seek to kill Me, a man that has told you the truth, which I have heard of God; this did not Abraham. Ye do the deeds of your father." (John 8:39-41)

Still, they argued. "We be not born of fornication -- we have One Father, even God."

Jesus said unto them, "If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God, neither came I of Myself, but He sent Me. Why do you not understand My speech? Even because ye cannot hear My Word. Ye are of your father the devil and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks of his own; for he is a liar, and the father of it. 

[But] because I tell you the truth, ye believe Me not. Which of you convinces Me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do you not believe Me? He that is of God hears God's words; ye therefore, hear them not, because you are not of God." (John 8:42-47)

Then answered the Jews, and said unto Him, "Say we not well that Thou art a Samaritan and hast a devil?"

Jesus answered, "I have not a devil but I honour My Father, and ye do dishonour Me, and I seek not Mine own glory -- there is One that seeks and judges. Verily, verily, I say unto you -- if a man keep My saying, he shall never taste of death." (John 8:52)

This statement only served to further infuriate the Jews. These said unto Him -- "Now we know that Thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets and Thou sayest: If a man keep My saying, he shall never taste of death. Art Thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? And the prophets are dead: whom makest Thou Thyself?"

Jesus answered, "If I honour Myself, My honour is nothing. It is My Father that honours Me; of whom ye say, that He is your God. Yet ye have not known Him, but I know Him; and if I should say, I know Him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know Him and keep His saying. Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day: and he saw it, and was glad." (John 8:54-56)

Then said the Jews unto Him, "Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast Thou seen Abraham?"

Jesus said unto them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, "Before Abraham was, I AM." (John 8:58)

Yes, Jesus -- Almighty God in the flesh, for He shall save His people from their sins. (Isaiah 9:6; Matthew 1:21-25; 2:2-11; John 1:1-18) The Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. (Revelation 22:13)

The point here is this. If the religious in those days could reject Jesus, we shouldn't be surprised if these same religious do the same today. But the good news is that we don't have to stay in their holding pen. We have been set free to reign, according to the measure of our faith. 

Therefore, trust Jesus today! Believe on His name, seeking His righteousness for your life. Read His Word and be purified, even as He is purified.

And always, "stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free .. and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage." (Galatians 5:1) Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment