Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Jesus Declared Himself to Be Almighty God - Part 842

Jesus said, “I and My Father ARE one.” (John 10:30-33) Jesus did not say I and My Father agree. Or, for that matter, neither did Jesus say that He and His Father agree to be one. What Jesus said was, “I and My Father ARE one.” 

And, if you note the reaction of the Jews here -- to what Jesus was actually saying -- there was no mistaking His message. He knew who He was -- God in the flesh -- and so did the Jews. This is why the Jews wanted to stone Jesus. This was the message that the Jews could not accept.

Reading from the tenth chapter of John:

Jesus said, “I and My Father are one.” Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, “Many good works have I shewed you from My Father; for which of those works do ye stone Me?” 

The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we stone Thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that Thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

Did you catch what was happening here? The Jews wanted to stone Jesus -- not because He healed the sick -- not because He cast out demons in those who were afflicted -- not because He comforted the lonely -- and neither because He associated with people within society who at the time were considered to be outcasts. 

The Jews wanted to stone Jesus because He was making Himself to be God. (Not the Son of God as many in churches today suggest with their religious doctrine of a trinity), but as Almighty God in the flesh Himself. He who knew no sin becoming sin for you and me.

We read the same message about the identity of God in the first chapter of John:

“In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him and without Him was not anything made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. He came unto His own and His own received Him not. And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us (and we beheld His glory -- the glory as of the only begotten of the Father) full of grace and truth.

Other scriptures confirm this same point. A sampling includes:

“And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.” (I Timothy 3:16)

“Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.” (Matthew 1:23)

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” (Isaiah 9:6)

But I digress. Jesus was in Jerusalem at the Feast of Dedication. It was winter. He had been sharing a parable but there were those in the audience who did not understand it. As a consequence, Jesus teachings were causing division. In the following parable, we see that Jesus is using imagery and analogy to help people understand who He is. But many of those who are listening, as we find out later, do not have the ears to hear.

Still, Jesus begins with a parable about sheep. He said that sheep will hear the Good Shepherd because He calls His sheep by name, and leads them out. The shepherd is not a thief or a robber that attempts to climb in some other way, but because He enters through the door. Jesus continued.

“And when He puts forth His own sheep, He goes before them, and the sheep follow Him: for they know His voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.” (John 10:1-5)

This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which He spake unto them. Then said Jesus unto them again, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, “I am the door of the sheep.” All that ever came before Me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.” (John 10:6-8)

”I am the door: by Me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief comes not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd gives His life for the sheep.

But he that is a hireling, and not the Shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep, and flees: and the wolf catches them, and scatters the sheep. The hireling flees, because he is a hireling, and cares not for the sheep. I am the Good Shepherd, and know My sheep, and am known of mine.

As the Father knows Me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down My life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear My voice; and there shall be One fold, and One shepherd. Therefore doth My Father love me, because I lay down My life, that I might take it again. No man takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.” (John 10:9-18)

But these parables were causing mass confusion to the point of division among those who listened. Many of them said, “He hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him?” Others said, “These are not the words of him that hath a devil. Can a devil open the eyes of the blind?” When Jesus walked into Solomon`s Porch, the Jews came round about Him.

These same Jews asked Jesus, “How long does Thou make us to doubt? If Thou be the Christ, tell us plainly.”

Jesus answered them, “I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in My Father's name, they bear witness of Me. But ye believe not, because ye are not of My sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me ... And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of My hand.

My Father, which gave them Me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of My Father's hand. I and my Father are one... 

... Say ye of Him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemes; because I said “I am the Son of God?” If I do not the works of My Father, believe Me not. But if I do, though ye believe not Me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in Me, and I in him.

Therefore they sought again to take Him: but He escaped out of their hand. And went away again beyond Jordan into the place where John at first baptized; and there He abode. And many resorted unto Him, and said, “John did no miracle: but all things that John spake of this man were true.” And many believed on Him there.” (John 10:30-38)

We need to believe on Jesus too -- for who He is. Almighty God in the flesh, loving us so much that He Himself, who knew no sin would bear the cross. Yes, the greatest love story ever told. And the amazing part is that Jesus is still calling us to get to know Him today. 

Ask Jesus into your heart. Study His Word daily. Become effectual in your communications. Stand in the offering plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment