Monday, December 31, 2012

A New Beginning in Jesus - Part 597

"Now we believe, not because of your saying" the people said to the woman at the well in the scriptures. Rather, because they had "heard Jesus ourselves, and know that He is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world." (John 4:42)

At this time of year, when New Year's resolutions are prevalent, we are advantaged to learn about the woman of Samaria. In the scriptures, we read that this woman had come to the well to draw water. Jesus' disciples had gone into the city to buy food. Therefore, sitting alone, Jesus said unto her, "Give me to drink." The woman aware of long-standing traditions between the Jews and the Samaritans asked, "How is it that you, being a Jew, ask drink of me who am a woman of Samaria?"

But Jesus answered and said, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that said to you, "Give me to drink" you would have asked of Him, and He would have given you living water." Looking around the woman said "Sir, you have nothing to draw with, and the well is deep. From where then have you that living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob who gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his sons, and his cattle?"

Jesus answered and said unto her, "Whosoever drinks of this water shall thirst again; but whosoever drinks of the water that I shall give him, shall never thirst. [Indeed] the water that I give shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. " (John 4:8-26)

As the conversation continued, the woman began to desire the living water that Jesus spoke of -- so that she too would thirst not. Certainly, she wanted to know who Jesus was. Who was this man that in conversation could tell her all about her past? Her many transgressions. In response, the woman knew enough to say to Jesus, "I know that when the Messiah comes, who is called the Christ, He will tell us all things."

But Jesus, recognizing her love, said, "I that speak unto you am He." It is I -- Jesus -- who gives life. And life more abundantly. It is I -- Jesus -- who pours out living water on those believers who desire the Word. Jesus said, "He that believes on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." (John 7:38)

Other scriptures confirm the same. "Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." (John 4:14)

"For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring." (Isaiah 44:3)

"And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." (Revelation 22:17)

"Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over." (Psalms 23:5) "And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb." (Revelation 22:1)

Like the woman at the well, desire the living water that is only available from Jesus the Christ. The Alpha and Omega. The beginning and the end. Our Lord God who became our Saviour and knows each and every one of us by name. The scriptures state that "if we confess our sins, Jesus is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (I John 1:9)

Indeed, "I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." (Revelation 21:6) This is the Jesus we serve. 

Stand in the offering plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment