Sunday, December 16, 2012

Jesus is He Whom You Seek - Part 588

Be of good courage. He shall feed His flock like a shepherd. He shall gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom and shall gently lead those that are with young. This is the Jesus we serve. Our Lord God and Saviour, The first and the last. The creator of heaven and earth who loved us enough to become flesh and dwell among us -- and then hang on a tree that He Himself -- watched grow. Indeed, Jesus is He.

This is why the publicans and sinners drew near unto Jesus -- so that they could hear His words. Why? Because they recognized Jesus as their Healer and Saviour.

But the Pharisees and the scribes murmured saying, "This man receiveth sinners and eateth with them." In their minds, the religious elites questioned the idea of the most high King communing with common folk. The ordinary men and women of society.

So Jesus attempted to impart some wisdom to them by sharing a parable. He said in Luke chapter 15, "What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders rejoicing, And when he cometh home, he calleth all his friends and neighbours saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost."

Jesus continued, "I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repents more than over ninety and nine just persons which need no repentance."

Just in case the scribes and Pharisees required further evidence, Jesus used a second analogy to make His point. He carried on speaking, "Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she loses one piece doth not light a candle and sweep the house and seek diligently till she find it? And when she hath found it, she called her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me for I have found the piece which I had lost. Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repents."

In telling the parable, Jesus desired that all might come to know the only true God and Saviour Jesus Christ. His love for the people of this world -- you and I -- did not change at any point. In fact, when Jesus hour was nigh, His humanity prayed, "I have glorified thee on the earth. I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do ... I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gave me out of this world. Thine they were and thou gavest them me and they have kept thy Word. For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee and they have believed that thou didst send me."

"I pray for them -- for them which thou hast given me, for they are thine. Jesus said, "And now I am no more in the world but these are in the world and I come to thee, Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me that they may be one as we are ... And now come I to thee, and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them thy Word ... keep them from the evil. Sanctify them through thy truth. Thy Word is truth." (John 17:4-22)

Embrace the glory that Jesus has given us -- "that they may be made perfect in one and that the world may know that thou has sent me and hast loved them as thou hast loved me." (John 17:23)

Jesus concluded His prayer saying -- "And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it; that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them and I in them."

Jesus did not come so that we could celebrate His birth in a manger but rather that we could be one with Him -- filled with His love and joy -- that surpasses all human understanding. And if you are the one sheep that Jesus desires, turn your heart to Him today. He loves you beyond measure and desires that you too come to know His abundance. Stand in the offering plate.












No comments:

Post a Comment