Tuesday, February 7, 2012

THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD - PART 327

Is the Lord really our Shepherd? Does the Lord really have the pre-eminence in our life? Do we love the Lord our God with our heart, with our soul, with all our mind and with all of our strength? This would appear to be a tall order. But remember the words "In God We Trust." I am what I am today because of God’s grace and mercy!

Sometimes it is good to remember this message in our day to day lives. We are what we are because of God's grace and mercy! Let me tell you a story. Some time ago, we travelled to the United States to attend my grandson's wedding. There were four of us in the vehicle. We get to customs where we presented the border patrol officers with our passports. My wife and I have British passports. Because we have lived in Canada for most of our lives, we also have Canadian permanent resident cards. Suddenly, I hear my name being called. Then we were all ushered into the office.

My wife and I are on the generous side of seventy. In this border station, we were fingerprinted and scanned for the very first time in our lives. If we had not been attending a grandson's wedding, we would have made a U-turn. As such, we were - reluctantly - processed. When the numerous inquiries were complete, we were welcomed to the states. We were even invited to stay there for a period of time if we desired.

Thank you but no thanks, particularly after this experience. Still, I am what I am because of God's grace and mercy! So I said to the young officer, "I have something for you." I pulled out a card. She takes it in her hand reading the words very slowly. Clearly, her facial expressions reflected her inner feelings. Indeed, she responded with feeling in her voice.

"I have ..." she said. On the front face of the card appears the following words. "You have tried everything else, why not give God a chance?" On the backside of the card appears an outline of a plate with words that state “YOUR OFFERING PLATE." I said to the young officer, "stand in the plate and offer yourself to the Lord." She said, "I have."

This is just one example of many that will never ceased to amaze me. In fact, I am always amazed at the situations God takes me into in order to lead a lost sheep to receive His Grace and Mercy. During that day in Chicago, by God’s Grace, a harvest of persons came to partake of His redemptive salvation.

For the entire time I was there, it seemed that God was opening hearts everywhere. Sometimes, I think perhaps I should have stayed longer. But I have Canada, the country that at this moment in time is my harvest field. And even though I am British as alluded to earlier, I also recognize that beyond “Brit’ meaning Covenant, and “ish” meaning man, I am still a recipient of all the benefits awarded by God’s Grace. All the benefits resulting from the Everlasting Covenant of God in JESUS the Christ.

In this context, God has a people, which in reality, are neither Jew nor Gentile. For out of all nations down through the ages, God is calling to Himself a people. A people who formerly were not a people but now because of GOD’S grace and mercy have become members of His bone and flesh. For it was at Calvary that the Lord of glory sacrificed His sinless body to redeem all who call upon His name.

A symbolic cross around one’s neck, even a symbolic hand over one’s heart are all external gestures. But the REAL EXPERIENCE is CHRIST IN ONES HEART. Stand in the Offering Plate today. In God we trust! Peace to all brethren and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment