Friday, May 4, 2018

O God, Thou Hast Taught Me From My Youth: And Hitherto Have I Declared Thy Wondrous Works - Part 2042

"Hitherto is the end of the matter. As for me Daniel, my cogitations much troubled me, and my countenance changed in me: but I kept the matter in my heart." (Daniel 7:28)

The word "hitherto" means up until now ...  up to this particular point in time. But now, there should be a turning point about to occur. We can expect a new change -- one wherein we should willingly pay attention. Certainly, Jesus used hitherto to signify a turning point. Similarly, Paul the apostle too, when he was writing to the Gentiles.

In one passage, Jesus answered them saying, "My Father works hitherto, and I work." (John 5:17)

Herein, Jesus had just healed an impotent man, and the Jews were not happy with the situation. Therefore, the Jews sought the more to kill Him, because He not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God. Then answered Jesus and said unto them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do: for what things soever He doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. For the Father loves the Son, and shews Him all things that Himself doeth: and He will shew Him greater works than these, that ye may marvel. For as the Father raises up the dead, and quickens them; even so the Son quickens whom He will." (John 5:18-21)

Of course, herein, Jesus is referring to the coming of the Comforter, the Holy Ghost who would lead and guide those who believe into all truth, after His death and resurrection. We see this in Acts 1:2. 

"Until the day in which He was taken up, after that He through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom He had chosen: to whom also He shewed Himself alive after His passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God ..." (Acts 1:2-3)

"That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwells in us." (II Timothy 1:14)

In yet another place, "Hitherto have ye asked nothing in My Name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full." (John 16:24)

When writing to the saints in Corinth, Paul wrote, "I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able." (I Corinthians 3:2)

And also, "Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles." (Romans 1:13)
At one point, David the king came and sat before the LORD, and said, "Who am I, O LORD God, and what is mine house, that thou hast brought me hitherto?" (I Chronicles 17:16)

Each of these verses offering a simple gospel message. That is, within our faith journey, each and every one of us (at some point in our life) will come to a hitherto moment. How can this be said? Because as Peter (standing with the eleven) instructed the first 3,000 souls saved on the day of Pentecost, we need to repent and be baptized every one of us in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ for the remission of sins and we will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:36-41)

Until we repent of our sins, we lack the wisdom and knowledge that can only come from personally knowing the Lord Jesus as our Lord God and Saviour. Indeed, as Paul alludes, even when our teachers feed us with milk, there will be times when we are not able to bear it. Nevertheless, hitherto should bring us to that time when we have an earnest expectation to learn more, to meditate at every opportunity upon His Word. 

"For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day. Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwells in us." (II Timothy 2:12-14)

He is our Rock of salvation. 

"Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts." (II Corinthians 1:22)

"Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of His glory." (Ephesians 1:14)

By now, we should know in whom we have believed, and His goodness and grace and mercy for His beloved. He has taught us from our youth, and hitherto, we should be praising Him for our goodness and grace and mercy.

Who is the God in which we believe?

As the scripture so clearly states, "we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know Him that is true, and we are in Him that is true, even in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen." (I John 5:1-21)

Stand in the offering plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment