Sunday, July 21, 2013

For I Have Appeared Unto Thee For This Purpose - Part 725

Saul, who after his conversion became Paul, would that everyone who heard, would receive the good news gospel message of reaching out to Jesus -- even his accusers. Indeed, throughout Paul's ministry, he continually emphasized the importance of salvation. 

"For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant to all that I might gain the more. And to the Jews I became as a Jew that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law that I might gain them that are under the law. To them that are without law (being not without law to God but under the law to Christ) that I might gain them that are without the law. To the weak, that I might gain the weak, I am made all things to all men that I might by all means save some ... and this I do for the gospel's sake that I might be a partaker thereof with you." (I Corinthians 9:1-23)


Paul's desire to win souls for Jesus had become his sole life objective but it was not always this way. As we know from Paul's initial encounter with Jesus, his calling to the ministry differed somewhat from the other disciples. Still, his new life purpose was to become a fisher of men. And like other apostles, he looked upon ceremonial law and the old covenant as bondage that was made null and void when Jesus shed His precious blood on the cross. Our sins were paid for once and for all. Even so, the above scriptural passage shows that Paul was willing to submit to societal/legal constructs if in so doing, he would win people over to Christ.


Such is the situation in Acts chapters 24-26. Herein, orator Tertullus is informing the governor against Paul. Among his accusations, Tertullus states: "Seeing that by thee we enjoy great quietness and that very worthy deeds are done unto this nation by thy providence. We accept it always and in all places most noble Felix with all thankfulness. Notwithstanding that I be not further tedious unto thee, I pray thee that thou wouldest hear us of thy clemency a few words. 


For we have found this man a pestilent fellow and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes: who also hath gone about to profane the temple whom we took and would have judged according to our law. But the chief captain Lysias came upon us and with great violence took him away out of our hands, commanding his accusers to come unto thee; by examining of whom thyself mayest take knowledge of all these things whereof we accuse him." (Acts 24:1-10) 


Note that the Jews also assented to the accusations made by Tertullus, agreeing that all these things
that were stated were so. Note also that in responding both here and in later chapters, Paul never misses an opportunity to speak to those around him about Jesus -- his blessed Saviour. 

In one scriptural reference, Paul says,  "But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets, and have hope toward God which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust. And herein do I exercise myself to have always a conscience void of offence toward God and toward man." (Acts 24:13-16)


Paul continues, relying on a combination of righteousness, temperance and the judgement that is yet to come as reasoning for the points he made. 


Acts chapter 26 is another example. Agrippa permits Paul to speak -- allowing him to respond to the accusations made against him. Stretching forth his hand,  Paul states: "I think myself happy, King Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before these touching all the things whereof I am accused of the Jews: especially because I know thee to be expert in all customs and questions which are among the Jews; wherefore, I beseech thee to hear me patiently. 


My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews, which knew me from the beginning -- if they would testify -- that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee. And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers; unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, King Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews -- unto which promise our twelve tribes instantly serving God day and night hope to come. For which hope's sake King Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews.   


Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead? I verily thought with myself  I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth -- which thing I also did in Jerusalem, and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests, and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them. And I punished them oft in every synagogue and compelled them to blaspheme and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities. (Acts 26:1-13)


He then outlines the details of how his life had changed one day, as he ventured to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests. In fact, as we know from the scriptures, he was stopped in his tracks by the brightness of the sun shining around him -- and those who journeyed with him. And when they were all fallen to the earth, Paul heard a voice speaking, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, "Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou Me? It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks." (Acts 26:14)

When Paul asked, "Who art thou, Lord?" the Lord answered, saying, " I am Jesus whom thou persecutest."

Like Paul in his salvation journey, Jesus tells us similarly to stand upon our feet "for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose" -- to make us fishers of men -- "to open their eyes and to turn them from darkness to light and from the power of satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me." (Acts 26:18)


It is for this latter reason that Paul was identified by his accusers as "a pestilent fellow" -- a "mover of sedition" -- a "ringleader of the sect." Because Paul recognized that what society values is not what Jesus values -- and thus, he was willing to preach to everyone that would listen that forgiveness of sins and inheritance follows those which are sanctified by the same faith that was in Paul. Consider Paul's testimony in the days ahead. Stand in the offering plate.                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment