Thursday, January 17, 2019

Have You Heard The Call? Send The Light, Send The Light; There Are Souls To Rescue! - Part 2262

“ … be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, [even] by Him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” (Acts 4:10-12)

From Acts 2:36-41, we have a beginning foundation for understanding repentance/forgiveness, water baptism and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. Herein, was the day of Pentecost, and Peter (standing with the eleven) preached the gospel to people from every nation. These were convicted from what Peter said — that this same Jesus whom ye have crucified is both Lord and Christ. They asked what must they do. Peter said, “Repent, and be baptized everyone of you in the Name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.”

“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.” Now when they heard [this], they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?” Then Peter said unto them, “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call.” And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, “Save yourselves from this untoward generation.” Then they that gladly received His Word were baptized: and the same day there were added [unto them] about three thousand souls.” (Acts 2:36-41)

How are we to be water baptized? By immersion, which means to be totally immersed in water — after we are old enough to make a heart decision for the Lord, and in His precious, holy Name -- JESUS! (Matthew 1:21-23)

“And Jesus when He was baptized went up straightway out of the water.” (Matthew 3:16)

“And they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch and he baptized him.” (Acts 8:38)
“Therefore we are buried with Him by baptism into death.” (Romans 6:4)

Baptism is a type of the burial of our sins. It is also an answer of a good conscience toward God. “The like figure whereunto [even] baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ …” (I Peter 3:21)

Every person who was ever baptized in the new testament (after the cross) were ALL BAPTIZED IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST.

“Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the Word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (for as yet He was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they [their] hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.” (Acts 8:14-17)

“While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the Word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, “Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?” And he commanded them to be baptized in the Name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.” (Acts 10:48)

“And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, he said unto them, “Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?” And they said unto him, “We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.” And he said unto them, “Unto what then were ye baptized?” And they said, “Unto John’s baptism.” Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on Him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard [this], they were baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.” (Acts 19:3-6)

If you check Peter's teaching, and also Paul's teaching (Paul was also an apostle), you will see that both taught and practised baptism in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ. There was “one accord” between them on salvation — repent, be baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ, receive the Holy Ghost.

Why is it is essential to go by the Scripture, rather than traditions of man? First, the Word made flesh is Jesus; God manifest in the flesh. (John 1:1-3; John 1:14, I Timothy 3:16; I Corinthians 5:19; Revelation 1:8)

Second, Paul writes, “But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any [man] preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.” (Galatians 1:8-9)

Third, Paul continues, writing, “But I certify you, brethren that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ … to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:” (Galatians 1:11-12, 16)

But there are those who say they would rather obey Jesus than the apostles, relying on Jesus’ words in Matthew 29:19 without the surrounding context of this particular scripture. What does Jesus say herein? To baptize in the Name. Father is not a name. Neither is son, or spirit. These are titles. If Jesus wanted us to be baptized in the titles, He would have said — in the names — plural. But He did not.

And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, “All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.” (Matthew 1:19-20)

The comparison scriptures for these verses, wherein Jesus clearly states, “in My Name” include:

Jesus said, “And whoso shall receive one such little child in My Name receiveth Me.” (Matthew 18:5)

Jesus said, “For where two or three are gathered together in My Name, there am I in the midst of them.” (Matthew 18:20)

Jesus said, “And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for My Name’s sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.” (Matthew 9:29)

Jesus said, “For many shall come in My Name, saying, “I AM Christ” and shall deceive many.” (Matthew 24:5) 

Jesus said, “Whosoever shall receive one of such children in My Name, receives Me: and whosoever shall receive Me, receiveth not Me, but Him that sent Me.” (Mark 9:37)

But Jesus said, “Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in My Name, that can lightly speak evil of Me … For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in My Name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.” (Mark 9:39-41) 

Jesus said, “ … for many shall come in My Name, saying, “I AM Christ; and shall deceive many.” (Mark 13:6)

Jesus said, “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In My Name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues …” (Mark 16:17)

Jesus said unto them, “Whosoever shall receive this child in My Name receives Me: and whosoever shall receive Me receives Him that sent Me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.” (Luke 9:48)

And Jesus said, “Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in My Name, saying, “I AM Christ” — and the time draws near: go ye not therefore after them.” (Luke 21:8)

Jesus said, “But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for My Name’s sake.” (Luke 21:12) 

Jesus said, “I am come in My Father’s Name, and ye receive Me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.” (John 5:43)

Jesus answered them, “I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in My Father’s Name, they bear witness of Me.” (John 10:25)

Jesus said, “And whatsoever ye shall ask in My Name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in My Name, I will do [it].” (John 14:13-14)

Jesus said, “But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My Name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.” (John 14:26)

Jesus said, “Ye have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you, and ordained [you], that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in My Name, He may give it you.” (John 15:16)

Jesus said, “And in that day ye shall ask Me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, “Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in My Name, He will give [it] you ... Hitherto have ye asked nothing in My Name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.” (John 16:23)

Jesus said, “At that day ye shall ask in My Name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you …”  (John 16:26)

“For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, “Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew My power in thee, and that My Name might be declared throughout all the earth.” (Romans 9:1)

“For both He that sanctifies and they who are sanctified [are] all of one: for which cause He is not ashamed to call them brethren, saying, “I will declare Thy Name unto My brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto Thee. And again, I will put my trust in Him. And again, “Behold I and the children which God hath given Me.” (Hebrews 2:11-13)

“I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, [even] where satan’s seat [is]: and thou holdest fast My Name, and hast not denied My faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was My faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where satan dwelleth.” (Revelation 2:13)

“ … he that overcomes, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before My Father, and before His angels … him that overcomes will I make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the Name of my God, and the Name of the city of My God, [which is] new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God: and [I will write upon him] My new Name.” (Revelation 3:5, 12)

After Jesus resurrection, and the forty days He spent with the apostles and other believers, we see “Jesus through the Holy Ghost gave commandments unto the apostles whom He had chosen” — also having given the keys of the kingdom to Peter. (Acts 1:2-3; Matthew 16:19) This same Peter commanded the people to be baptized in the NAME OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST. (Acts 2:38; Acts 10:44-48)

Jesus said, “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now, Howbeit when He, the Spirit of Truth is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself, but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come.” (John 16:12-13)

More to come. Stand in the offering plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment