Sunday, July 10, 2011

Jesus The Christ -- The Hope of Glory - PART 156

Christ in you is the hope of glory. Indeed, Christ was central to the early Friends experience. The Friends identified that the light now dwelling within them was indeed the Christ. We know this from writings by William Penn who was imprisoned for his anti Trinitarian statements. The sandy foundation were shaken and the accusations against him being that he denied the divinity of Christ. His answer to this charge he titled, "Innocence with her open face" which he penned whilst in prison.

He writes, "That which I am credibly informed to be the greatest reason for my imprisonment, and that sound of blasphemy, which has pierced my ears of late is my denying the divinity of Christ, and divesting Him of His eternal Godhead, which busybodies have suggested to those in authority, as maliciously insinuated amongst the people; wherefore I beseech you to be impartial and considerate, in the perusal of my vindication, which being in the fear of the Almighty God, and in the simplicity of scripture dialect, presented now to you. I hope my innocence will appear beyond a scruple. The Proverb, which, as most will agree, intend Christ as Saviour when speaking in this manner, By Me Kings reign, and princes decree justice; I (wisdom) lead in the midst of the paths of judgement; I was set up from everlasting; to which Paul’s words allude, Unto them which are called (we preach) Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God; from whence I conclude Christ the Saviour to be God; for otherwise God would not be Himself; since if Christ be distinct from God and yet is declared as being God’s power and wisdom; but inasmuch as it is impossible God’s power and wisdom should be distinct or divided from Himself, it reasonably follows, that Christ who is the power and wisdom of God, is not distinct from God, but entirely that very same God."

Please note here that we will address this point as number one for reference purposes. Point number two to follow.

Looking back , I recall when the Trinitarians and the Oneness believers fellowshipped together. the young Trinitarians decided to separate themselves from the Oneness believers. They were successful in their endeavour and they also secured all properties, only one edifice survived the fray. It was in this remaining edifice that I fearfully entered, fearfully I say, for I was young in Christ and older Trinitarians could not answer my questions concerning doctrines that were clearly defined in the Scripture as the teaching of the Holy Spirit through the Apostles. Their only remedy was to lay fear.

Then, I and my young family drove across the city to this single remaining edifice. In this place, a very elderly brother was teaching Sunday school. My memory of the message is that he taught about the Beatitudes. My memory of the place is when the peace of God that passes all understanding rested upon me. I was privileged to sit at the feet of one who had frequented the 1904 revival. Love all them that love the truth, for God is Love and God’s Word is Truth. Remember too that if any man or angel preach any other gospel to you Paul declares that they are, according to the scriptures cursed.

No comments:

Post a Comment