Friday, June 22, 2018

If Ye Continue In My Word, Then Are Ye My Disciples Indeed, And Ye Shall Know The Truth That Makes You Free - Part 2078

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on Him, "If ye continue in My Word, then are ye My disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Sadly, even when Jesus walked this earth, there were those who refused to continue in "My Word!" We see an example of this in John 8, wherein the scribes and Pharisees respond to Jesus, saying, "We be Abraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest Thou, "Ye shall be made free?" Jesus answered them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever." (John 8:31-35)

Leading up to this dialogue, we learn that the scribes and Pharisees had just brought unto Jesus a woman taken in adultery. When these had set her in the midst, they said unto Jesus, "Master, this woman was taken in adultery -- in the very act." But they did not stop there in their accusation, but continued, saying, "Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest Thou?"

Of course, herein, we are privy to the intents of their hearts because the scripture confirms the scribes and Pharisees were "tempting Him, that they might have [reason] to accuse Him." But Jesus stooped down, and with [His] finger wrote on the ground, [as though He heard them not]. So when they continued asking Him, He lifted up Himself, and said unto them, "he that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

Again He stooped down, and wrote on the ground. And they which heard [it], being convicted by [their own] conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had lifted up Himself, and saw none but the woman, He said unto her, "Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?" She said, "No man, Lord." And Jesus said unto her, "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." (John 8:1-12)

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, "I am the Light of the world: he that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."

The Pharisees were not satisfied, and most certainly not going to accept that Jesus was the Light of the world. Therefore, the Pharisees said unto Him, "Thou bearest record of Thyself; Thy record is not true." So Jesus answers, saying unto them, "Though I bear record of Myself, [yet] My record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go. Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man. And yet if I judge, My judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent Me. It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true. I am One that bear witness of Myself, and the Father that sent Me beareth witness of Me."

Then said they unto Him, "Where is Thy Father?" Jesus answered, "Ye neither know Me, nor My Father: if ye had known Me, ye should have known My Father also."

These words spake Jesus in the treasury, as He taught in the temple: and no man laid hands on Him; for His hour was not yet come. Then said Jesus again unto them, "I go My way, and ye shall seek Me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come." Then said the Jews, "Will He kill Himself?" because He saith, "Whither I go, ye cannot come." And He said unto them, "Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I AM/am [He], ye shall die in your sins."

Then said they unto Him, "Who art Thou?"

And Jesus saith unto them, "Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning. I have many things to say and to judge of you: but He that sent Me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of Him."

[As the scriptures declared, these] understood not that He spake to them of the Father. Then said Jesus unto them, "When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I AM [He], and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father hath taught Me, I speak these things. And He that sent Me is with Me: the Father hath not left Me alone; for I do always those things that please Him." (John 8:1-30)

Something Jesus said was making an impact, for as Jesus spake these words, many believed on Him. You see, the scribes and Pharisees should have understood what Jesus was saying here, because they were considered the learned within society. But they did not. And their lack of understanding led them to ask Jesus, "Who art Thou?" Imagine condemning another person, and not knowing who they are. In essence, this is what was happening here. But there is more.

First, they bring a woman caught in the act of adultery -- to tempt Him so they could bring forth accusations against Him. These inward heart desires, even when the scribes and Pharisees, by virtue of their societal positions, were supposed to be spiritually focused. Heaven bound, understanding the breadth and depth of the old covenant, including the psalms and prophecies, nd His grace and mercy therein. Yet, Jesus had to say unto them, "When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I AM [He] ..."

Indeed, if they had been true scholars of the scriptures, they should have understood the prophecies of Ezekiel and Isaiah, and David the psalmist's writings -- wherein, the Son of man is mentioned repeatedly, but also that the Lord God would come forth as a mighty man -- to become our Saviour. (Isaiah 42:13; Isaiah 9:6)

"To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the Word of reconciliation." (II Corinthians 5:19)

"I, even I, am the Lord; and beside Me there is no Saviour." (Isaiah 43:11)

"Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the Lord? and there is no God else beside Me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside Me." (Isaiah 45:21)

"Yet I am the Lord thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no God but Me: for there is no Saviour beside Me." (Hosea 13:4)

Second, it is critical for us to understand that Jesus is the same I AM of the old. The fullness of the Godhead dwelling bodily in Him. (Colossians 2:9) This is why Jesus could say to them, "The Father hath not left Me alone; for I do always those things that please Him." Moreover, the reason that these would die in their sins is because they would not accept that Jesus was He -- the Great I AM -- God manifest in the flesh. (I Timothy 3:16)

"After the kindness and love of God our Saviour ..." (Titus 3:4-7; Revelation 1:8)

Third, Jesus did not hide His identity from them. Indeed, when they said unto Him, "Where is Thy Father?" Jesus answers, saying, "Ye neither know Me, nor My Father: if ye had known Me, ye should have known My Father also." This is very similar to the dialogue in John 14, wherein Jesus tells His disciples that "if ye have seen Me, ye have seen the Father." (John 14:6-12) Again, Jesus clearly stating the same message that was from the very beginning. That is, "I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life!" (John 14:6) In yet another place, Jesus said, "Before Abraham was, I AM." (John 8:58)

Finally, through this example, we should be very thankful that we know in whom we serve. And that His mercy and grace is everlasting for those who love Him. Indeed, continue in His Word and then we will be His disciples indeed. And recognize too, like the woman caught in adultery, that the Lord has given each and every one of us His purpose, to be fulfilled when we follow after Him, believing the Word that He has spoken.

So again, "Who art Thou, Lord? "

We only have to turn to Saul/Paul's later encounter with the Lord on the road to Damascus to determine the answer -- "Who art Thou, Lord?" And the Lord said, "I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: [it is] hard for thee to kick against the pricks." (Acts 9:5) And I [Paul] answered, "Who art Thou, Lord?" And He said unto me [Paul], "I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom thou persecutest." (Acts 22:8) And I [Paul] said, "Who art Thou, Lord?" And He said, "I am Jesus whom thou persecutest." (Acts 26:15)

The disciples also knew the answer when Jesus walked along side them after the resurrection. Indeed, Jesus saith unto them, "Come and dine." And none of the disciples durst ask Him, "Who art Thou? knowing that it was the Lord." (John 21:12)

From the very beginning, as well -- "Thou [art] the Lord the God, who didst choose Abram, and broughtest him forth out of Ur of the Chaldees, and gavest him the name of Abraham ..." (Nehemiah 9:7)

Yes, He has not hid His identity from those who continue in "My Word." And in this current dispensation His Name is JESUS, the Great I AM, having robed Himself in flesh so that we might experience abundant salvation in Him. Jesus -- Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the ending. And as Peter (standing with the eleven) said on the day of Pentecost, "This same Jesus whom ye have crucified is both Lord and Christ!" (Acts 2:36)

Thus, "take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which He hath purchased with His own blood." (Acts 20:28)

Stand in the offering plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment