Monday, February 19, 2018

Jesus Said, "Ye Judge After the Flesh; I Judge No Man, And Yet, If I Judge, My Judgment Is True!" - Part 1974

In the 8th chapter of John, we learn that Jesus went unto the mount of Olives, and early in the morning, Jesus came again into the temple, and all the people came unto Him. Herein, He sat down and taught them. About the same time, the scribes and Pharisees bring unto Him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, they say unto Jesus, "Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act." (John 8:1-4)

Had the Pharisees either trusted or believed that Jesus (who was in the temple teaching the people at the time) knew the Law, the accusation would have stopped right there. That is, "this woman was taken in adultery, the very act." But the scribes and Pharisees did not stop there but continued with their accusations against the woman, saying, "Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest Thou?" (John 8:5)

Note the circumstances herein. Jesus is teaching the people that had gathered together in the temple to hear Him -- a place where the scribes and Pharisees would normally be responsible for teaching the people. But the people in the temple had instead come to hear Jesus and were being taught by Him -- His Word entering into their hearts. And as we know from other scriptures, the people marvelled at His doctrine.

Enter the scribes and Pharisees with the woman caught in adultery -- "the very act" -- as they declared, desiring Jesus to condone their condemnation of the woman so that she would be stoned, according to the law of Moses. As you can imagine, it must have been quite the scene. The scribes and Pharisees even going so far as to tempt Jesus so that they might have justification to subsequently accuse Him too.

Can you imagine how dark their hearts must have been, or how they were envious that the people listened to Jesus rather than to them? After all, the scribes and Pharisees were considered the teachers of the Law, and in their own hearts, the most knowledgeable (the intellectuals) within that society.

Further, at this point, they thought they could tempt Jesus into approving their condemnation of the woman caught in adultery, by telling Jesus what the Law states, and then asking Him, "But what sayest Thou?"

What does Jesus do? Jesus stoops down, and with His finger wrote on the ground, as though He heard them not. Throughout, the scribes and Pharisees continue asking Jesus about the woman, picking and picking and picking at Him. What happens? Jesus lifts up Himself, saying unto them, "he that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." (John 8:7)

And, once again, He stoops down, writing more on the ground. They which heard it, being convicted by [their own] conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, with the woman standing in the midst. (John 8:6-10)

[As an aside, note that while Jesus physically "wrote" on the ground, the scribes and Pharisees "heard" His message and were convicted in their hearts by their own conscience. This is important because as the scribes and Pharisees were quick to point out to Jesus, one of the commandments given to Moses from the Lord under the old covenant is not to commit adultery. (Exodus 20:14) Note that since Jesus had not yet been crucified or ascended, the law of old (the law given unto Moses for the Israelites) would still have applied to the woman's circumstance, if the letter of the law is/was to be applied.

However, there is yet another part to this very same law, and indeed in the same passage, spoken by the same Lord unto Moses, that was also to be disseminated unto all the congregation of the children of Israel. And in this context, the scribes and Pharisees who were in positions to teach the people should have known this as well.

That is, "thou shalt not curse the deaf, nor put a stumbling block before the blind, but shalt fear thy God; I am the Lord. Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment, thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty, but in righteousness shall thou judge thy neighbour; thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour. I am the Lord! Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him. Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of Thy people but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. I am the Lord!" (Leviticus 20:14-18; Deuteronomy 27:18; Deuteronomy 16:19; Exodus 23:3, 6; Proverbs 11:13; Proverbs 18:18; Proverbs 20:19; I Kings 21:7-19; I John 2:9-11; I John 3:15; Deuteronomy 32:35; Mark 12:31)]

As Jesus so oft said, "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost." (Matthew 18:11) "For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save." (Luke 9:56)

Thus, we can understand why -- after Jesus had lifted up Himself, and saw none but the woman in the midst, He said unto her, "Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?" She said, "No man, Lord." And Jesus said unto her, "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." (John 8:11)

Until this day, no one has specific insight as to the message Jesus wrote that day, or exactly what the scribes and Pharisees had heard. However, the scripture does say that those who were in attendance were convicted "by their OWN conscience" and went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last. In other words, all the accusers had left because there was not one whose conscience was clear because we have all sinned and fallen short of the righteousness of God. (John 8:11)

Continuing, Jesus tells the woman that He does not condemn her and to sin no more. Before we deal with this instruction to the woman, let's look at what else Jesus had to say to the people who remained.

Jesus said, "I am the Light of the world: he that follows Me shall not walk in darkness but shall have the Light of life." (John 8:12)

But again, the Pharisees hoping to deride Jesus were still not satisfied. So they said unto Him, "Thou bearest record of Thyself; Thy record is not true." Jesus answered and said unto them, "Though I bear record of Myself, [yet] My record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go. Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man. And yet, if I judge, My judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent Me. It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true. I am One that bear witness of Myself, and the Father that sent Me bears witness of Me." (John 8:13-18)

They replied unto Him, asking, "Where is Thy Father?" Jesus answered, "Ye neither know Me, nor My Father; if ye had known Me, ye should have known My Father also." These words spake Jesus in the treasury, as He taught in the temple: and no man laid hands on Him; for His hour was not yet come. Then said Jesus again unto them, "I go My way, and ye shall seek Me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come." (John 8:19-21)

The Jews then surmised if Jesus was going to kill Himself, because they did not understand when Jesus said, "Whither I go, ye cannot come." (John 8:23) So Jesus knowing their hearts further clarifies to the Jews, saying, "Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world, I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins; for if ye believe not that I AM [He], ye shall die in your sins." (John 8:22-24)

This caused the Jews to ask, "Who art Thou?" And Jesus saith unto them, "Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning. I have many things to say, and to judge of you, but He that sent Me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of Him." Of course, they understood not that He spake to them of the Father.

Then said Jesus unto them, "When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I AM [He], and [that] I do nothing as of Myself: but as My Father hath taught Me, I speak these things. And He that sent Me is with Me: the Father hath not left Me alone; for I do always those things that please Him."

"To wit, that God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself ..." (II Corinthians 5:19)

What happens next? As Jesus spake these words, many believed on Him. Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on Him, "If ye continue in My Word, then are ye My disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:25-32) "If ye believe on Me," said Jesus, "ye will continue in My Word and know the truth that sets us free."

But the scribes and Pharisees were still not happy, telling Jesus, "We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest Thou, "Ye shall be made free?"

Jesus answered them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, whosoever commits sin is the servant of sin, and the servant abides not in the house forever, but the Son abides ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. I know that ye are Abraham's seed, but ye seek to kill Me because My Word hath no place in you. I speak that which I have seen with My Father, and ye do that which ye have seen with your father." They answered and said unto Him, "Abraham is our father."

Jesus said unto them, "If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham. But now ye seek to kill Me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God; this did not Abraham. Ye do the deeds of your father." Then they said unto Him, "We be not born of fornication; we have One Father, [even] God." Jesus said unto them, "If God were your Father, ye would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I Myself but He sent Me. Why do ye not understand My speech? even because ye cannot hear My Word.

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father, ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks, he speaks a lie, he speaks of his own, for he is a liar and the father of it. And because I tell you the truth, ye believe Me not? Which of you convinces Me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe Me? he that is of God hears God's words; ye therefore hear [them] not, because ye are not of God." (John 8:33-47)

"Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. And the scripture foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, "In thee shall all the nations be blessed." (Galatians 4:6-8; Genesis 15:6; John 8:39; Genesis 12:3; Genesis 18:18; Genesis 22:18; Genesis 26:4; Genesis 28:14)

At the very least, these accusing scribes and Pharisees should have wanted their hearts to be right with God. As well, these should have known also from the scriptures, that "as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, "Cursed is every one that continues not in ALL things which are written in the book of the Law to do them." But that no man is justified by the Law in the sight of God, it is evident: for; "The just shall live by faith." And the law is not of faith; but, "The man that doth them shall live in them." (Galatians 4:10-12)

Still, these questioned Jesus further, saying, "Say we not well that Thou art a Samaritan and hast a devil?" But Jesus answered and said, "I have not a devil, but I honour My Father and ye do dishonour Me. And I seek not Mine own glory; there is One that seeks and judges. Verily, verily, I say unto you -- If a man keep My saying, he shall never see death." Then said the Jews unto Him, "Now we know that Thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets: and Thou sayest, "If a man keep My saying, He shall never taste of death." Art Thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makes Thou Thyself?"

Then said the Jews unto Jesus, "Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast Thou seen Abraham?" Jesus said unto them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you -- before Abraham's was, I AM."

Then took they up stones to cast at Him but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by. (John 8:48-59) Certainly, throughout the gospels, the scribes and Pharisees were always seen how they might entangle Jesus in His talk. (Matthew 22:15) In another place, the high priest asked Jesus of His disciples, and of His doctrine, and Jesus said, "I spake openly to the world; I ever taught up in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort: and in secret have I said nothing. "Why asks thou Me? Ask them which heard Me, what I have said unto them; behold, they know what I said." (John 18:19-21)

In yet another, Jesus tells the people, "How say the scribes that Christ is the son of David? For David himself said by the Holy Ghost, "The Lord said to My Lord, sit Thou on My right hand, till I make Thine enemies Thy footstool." David therefore himself calls Him Lord; and whence is he then His son?" And the common people heard Him gladly. (Mark 12:35-37)

This was the difference between those who believed and the scribes and Pharisees. When Jesus told the woman to sin no more, it was because He had set her free from the entanglements of the law, having shared with her the promise that came by faith. Indeed, as Jesus said, "Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw [it] and was glad."

But the scribes and Pharisees, they still wanted the people to be under the tutors and governors, and under the law. In fact, their hearts did not understand that the law was a schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, so that we might be justified by faith. And that, if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. (Galatians 4:24-29)

So much more here to understand but if there is one takeaway, let it be that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ will be given to them that believe in Him by faith, believing on His Name. He is the giver of hope, the giver of life, the Lord of glory who desires our hearts to turn unto Him, the Spirit of the Son dwelling in our hearts, crying out in thankfulness always, "Abba, Father."

"For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 4:26; John 1:12)

Stand in the offering plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment