Wednesday, April 19, 2017

How That By Revelation He Made Known Unto Me The Mystery of Christ - Part 1684

"Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are not ye my work in the Lord?" (I Corinthians 9:1)

In Paul's example, these questions are critical, because as Paul admits himself, he is one born out of due time. As such, he did not walk daily with Jesus, as did the other disciples. Rather, as Saul, the Lord Jesus stopped him in his tracks while enroute to Damascus. Saul's purpose, as he saw it, was to round up anyone who professed the Name of the Lord Jesus, and to either imprison them, or have them killed. As a side note, Saul oversaw the stoning of Stephen, to the point of even keeping the raiment of them that slew him. In Paul's defence before many people, he later shares his testimony, repeating his words, "Lord, they know that I imprisoned and beat in every synagogue them that believed on Thee." (Acts 22:19)

And in another place, Paul states: "I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the Name of Jesus of Nazareth, which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them. And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities." (Acts 26:9-15)

Returning to the initial questions, Paul is (in some ways) disputing those who disregard his teachings as lesser than the instruction of Jesus' other disciples. Even in today's religious culture, Paul's instruction to the Gentiles (termed by modern day theologians as the Pauline epistles) is oft disputed because he did not walk physically on earth with Jesus. This conclusion made, even when we know that Jesus personally called Saul, blinding him so that he had to be led by those that accompanied him to a certain disciple named Ananias.

Still, the Lord said unto Ananias (and to us by extension) that Saul (who would be renamed Paul) is a chosen vessel unto Him, to bear His Name -- the Name of Jesus before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel. Jesus told Ananias -- "For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for My Name's sake." (Acts 9:15-16)

The Lord Jesus having called S/Paul as not only the "last of all" to see Jesus before He was taken up but also "of one born out of due time." (I Corinthians 15:8)

Nevertheless, S/Paul was called for a purpose. When S/Paul asked, "Who art Thou, Lord?" Jesus said unto him, "I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose -- to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee, delivering thee from the people, and [from] the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee -- to open their eyes, [and] to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the power of satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in Me." (Acts 26:14-18)

Thus, when Paul's instructions to us as Gentiles (not Jews/Israelites per se) -- things that are written not to shame us, but as warnings to "my beloved" -- are therefore dismissed by many within the religious culture, there is a problem. In so doing, we therefore ignore that Jesus chose Paul specifically as a minister and as a witness to us so that our eyes would be opened, and that we might receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance beyond measure. (I Corinthians 4:14)

"For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet [have ye] not so many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel ..." (I Corinthians 4:15)

Does this make Paul perfect? Of course not, but what we are able to see is how Jesus working through Paul brings us His message of redemption. We see how Jesus is able to take Saul (and his wrath and condemnation against those who believe in Jesus) to a man renewed, with a higher purpose. And through S/Paul, we see how even the worst of us (from a societal/earthly perspective) can possess the mind of Christ Jesus within. (Philippians 2:5)

For Jesus said, "Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

Paul does not vary from Jesus' message, but as well, adds his own personal testimony so that "the communication of thy [his] faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus," and how we have great joy and consolation in His love. (Philemon 1:6)

For the record, it may be important to note here that Paul did not vary either from what Peter (standing with the eleven) on the day of Pentecost told the first 3,000 to come to Jesus on the new testament side. That is, to repent, and be [water] baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ so that ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:38-47) Paul had to also come to the realization that this same Jesus whom ye have crucified is BOTH Lord and Christ. (Acts 2:36) That Jesus is our all and all.

So, when Paul scribes these questions -- ""Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are not ye my work in the Lord?" (I Corinthians 9:1) he is reminding us that he is the Lord's appointed/anointed, so that we who are Gentiles can understand that even though Paul received his understanding of Jesus by revelation (and not walking day in and day out with Jesus when He was in the world) his message consists of the same gospel. Not another gospel, as some who criticize Paul might suggest.

For as Paul himself states, "I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. Now h/He that plants and h/He that waters are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building -- according to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise master builder. I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid -- which is Jesus Christ." (Corinthians 3:6-11)

"Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are not ye my work in the Lord?"

Paul answered these questions when he wrote: "If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you; for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord." (I Corinthians 9:2) For clarity, it is important to note that his answer to them that do examine Paul goes much further, wherein Paul writes that even though "the Lord [hath] ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel, that he has used none of these things, and neither has he written these things" -- "for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void." (I Corinthians 9:15-16; I Corinthians 9:1-27)

His apostleship sealed because he did not seek his own self-interests and glorification but rather, he willingly sought to plant a vineyard for Jesus Christ our Lord. Paul gladly sowed unto us spiritual wisdom and knowledge and became all things to all men for the gospel's sake, "that I might be partaker there with you." (I Corinthians 9:23)

And he did so, that "ye who sometimes were far off" can be "made nigh by the blood of Christ, for He is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition [between us] having abolished in His flesh the enmity, [even] the law of commandments [contained] in ordinances; for to make in Himself of twain one new man, so making peace, and that He might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby; and came and reached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. For through Him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father." (Ephesians 2:10-18)

Thus, we are no longer aliens, but have become His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works. As a consequence, we are therefore no more strangers and foreigners but fellow citizens with the saints and of the household of God; and are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief corner [stone]; in whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord -- in whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit." (Ephesians 2:19-22)

Praise be to our Lord God and Saviour, Jesus the Christ. Stand in the offering plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment