Saturday, November 29, 2014

Jesus Said - My Grace Is Sufficient For Thee - Part 1019

"Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities -- that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore, I take pleasure in infirmities, reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake, for when I am weak, then am I strong." (II Corinthians 12:9-10)

As anyone who regularly reads the scriptures soon realizes, Paul (who was previously known as Saul) was faithful in preaching the gospel of Jesus the Christ wherever he went. But as we also read in his testimony, persecution and turmoil were a significant part of his Christian journey. Indeed, Paul wrote:

"... in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft. Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes -- save one. Thrice I was beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep. In journeyings often, perils by the heathen, perils in the city, perils in the wilderness, perils in the sea, perils among false brethren, in weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches .... and through a window in a basket, was I let down by the wall and escaped his hands." (II Corinthians 11:23-33)

The point I want to focus on is that even apostle Paul suffered perils and tribulations when he found himself among false brethren. These false brethren were those who taught "another gospel" and not the good news gospel of Jesus Christ. These did not teach that in everything we do in word or deed (including water baptism), we do in the name of Jesus. (Colossians 3:17; Acts 2:38)

Certainly, there are enough scriptures in the new testament warning against wolves in sheep's clothing who creep in among the faithful unawares.  Jesus said, "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." (Matthew 7:15)

"Beware of the grievous wolves that will enter in among you, not sparing the flock, and also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things to draw away disciples after them." (Acts 20:29-30)

"But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their ways by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of and through covetousness, shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you." (II Peter 2:1-3)

These do not "continue steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread and in prayers", because these have another agenda. (Acts 2:37-42)

But I digress. The question is this. Why did this happen to one of the Lord's faithful? Because Paul was not only on record for saying, "but by the grace of God I am what I am and His grace which [was bestowed] upon me was not in vain" but for openly declaring the gospel of Jesus Christ to everyone he met. In fact, Paul willingly laboured more abundantly than they all -- "yet not I but the grace of God which was with me. Therefore, whether [it were] I or they, so we preach and so ye believed." (I Corinthians 15:10-11)

"Moreover, brethren" wrote Paul, "I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received and wherein ye stand; by which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received; how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, and now that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the scriptures. And that He was seen of Cephas, and then of the twelve, after that, He was seen of above five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. After that, He was seen of James, then of all the apostles, and last of all He was seen of me also, as one born out of due time." (I Corinthians 15:1-8)

(Note that the scriptures confirm that the "last" known individual to ever see Jesus was apostle Paul. Not the Joseph Smith's or William Branham's or any of the popular televangelists of this day (who speak of personal visitations from Jesus) but rather Paul the apostle, whom we know through the Word.)

"After that He was seen of James, then of all the apostles, and last of all He was seen of me also, as one born out of due time." (I Corinthians 15:7-8)

"To whom also He showed Himself alive after His passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God; and, being assembled together with [them], commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, [saith He] ye have heard of Me. For John truly baptized with water, but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence." (Acts 2:4-5)

The same Holy Ghost which is the Comforter, which could not be given until Jesus was glorified. "(But this spake He of the Spirit, which they that believe on Him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet [given] because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)" (John 7:39)

Further, Jesus said, "And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you for ever." (John 14:6)

"Ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you, and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem, and in Judaea and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the world." (Acts 1:7-8)

The good news gospel of Jesus Christ isn't just about going to church but recognizing that we are a chosen people, a royal generation whom our Lord God and Saviour counted worthy on the cross.

Paul told the believers in his time, and now us -- "And now brethren I commend you to God and to the Word of His grace, which is able to build you up and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. I have coveted no man's silver or gold or apparel." (Acts 20:32-33)

In other words, don't become one of the religious illiterates that only listens to someone in the pulpit but never opens the scriptures to find out what He -- Jesus -- the Word that was with God and was God and later became flesh (according to John 1:1-18) -- wants us to know. Instead, study His Word to show thyself approved, as a workman does. Stand firm in the apostles' doctrine as delivered in the new testament. Minister to those around you. Serve the Lord with all humility of mind. Stand in the offering plate with Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment