Tuesday, November 25, 2014

If Ye Believe Not That I Am He ... - Part 1017

Jesus was speaking with the Jews and Pharisees in the treasury, as He taught in the temple. At the time, no man had laid hands on Him for His hour was not yet come. (John 8:20)

Jesus said unto them, "I am the Light of the world. He that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness but shall have the Light of life." (John 8:12)

What was Jesus saying? He that follows Him shall not walk in darkness but shall have the Light of life. Why is this important? Because "in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him and without Him was not anything made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. And the Light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehended it not." (John 1:1-5)

John further clarifies that John the Baptist was NOT that Light but rather was sent as a forerunner to bear witness of the prophesied and soon to come Light -- the Light that was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

"He was in the world and the world was made by Him and the world knew Him not. He came unto His own and His own received Him not." (John 1:6-11)

"This same Word was made flesh and dwelt among us (and we beheld His glory, the glory of the only begotten of the Father) full of grace and truth." (John 1:14) Indeed, "no man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son which is in the bosom of the Father -- He hath declared." (John 1:18)

Jesus said, "As long as I am in the world, I am the Light of the world." (John 9:5) And some time later, "Yet a little while is the Light with you. Walk while ye have the Light lest darkness come upon you, for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth. While ye have the Light, believe in the Light that ye may be the children of Light." (John 12:35-36)

Note that this is the same God speaking to us "who at sundry times and in diverse manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken unto us by [His] Son whom He hath appointed heir of all things by whom also He made the worlds, who being the brightness of [His] glory and the express image of His person and upholding all things by the Word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high -- being made so much better than the angels." (Hebrews 1:1-3)

Not a different God or God in three persons as today's modern religious culture would have us believe, but Almighty God Himself -- He who knew no sin took on sin prone flesh as a Son, shedding His precious blood on a cross for you and I. (I Timothy 3:16; Isaiah 9:6)

But the Pharisees and Jews of the day did not accept His teachings, preferring instead to state that Jesus' record is not true. "Thou bearest record of Thyself ... Thy record is not true." (John 8:13) How did Jesus respond?

He told them -- "Though I bear record of Myself, [yet] My record is true for I know whence I came and whither I go, but ye cannot tell whence I come and whither I go." (John 8:14)

Shortly after, Jesus again reminds the Pharisees again -- "Whither I go, ye cannot come. Ye are from beneath.  I am from above. Ye are of this world. I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins for if ye believe not that I AM [He], ye shall die in your sins." (John 8:22-24)

These then asked, "Who art Thou?" Jesus said unto them, "Even [the same] that I said unto you from the beginning. I have many things to say and to judge of you, but He that sent Me is true and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of Him." (John 8:25-26)

"Ye judge after the flesh. I judge no man. And yet, if I judge, My judgement is true for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent Me. It is also written in your law that the testimony of two men is true. I am one that bear witness of Myself and the Father that sent Me beareth witness of Me." (John 8:14-18)

But still they understood not that Jesus spoke to them of the Father. Asking, "Where is Thy Father?" Jesus answered, "Ye neither know Me, nor My Father. If ye had known Me, ye should have known My Father also." (John 8:19-20) Simply stated, and yet, not understood. Neither was Jesus message understood when He told them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you -- before Abraham was, I AM." (John 8:58)

But unlike the Pharisees and Jews in this scriptural example, do not be deceived by those who have not diligently searched the scriptures, as a workman who loveth His Lord God and Saviour would naturally do. Rather, let the Light of Jesus the Christ shine through you in everything you do in word or deed.

Jesus said, "If ye continue in My Word, [then] are ye My disciples indeed, and ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:31-32)

Why should we align our beliefs and doctrines with His Word? Because "ye brethren are not in darkness that that day should overtake ye as a thief. Ye are all the children of the Light and children of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness." (I Thessalonians 5:5)

A timely message encouraging each one of us as believers to spend time seeking Jesus through His Word, and to align our doctrinal beliefs with His declared gospel. Let him who hath ears to hear, hear. Stand in the offering plate with Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment