Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Kingdom of God is Within You - Part 836

Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then would My servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is My kingdom not from hence." (John 18:36)

Here, Pilate had entered the judgment hall again, and called unto Jesus, and said, "Art Thou the King of the Jews?" Jesus answered him, saying, "Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or did others tell it thee of Me?" Pilate answered, "Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered Thee unto me. What hast Thou done?"

Pilate asks Jesus the same question again. When Pilate could not get Jesus to confirm whether or not He was a king (or THE prophesied King), he asked himself, "What is truth?" He then went out again unto the Jews and said to them that he could find no fault in Jesus at all. But knowing that the Jews had a custom, he said:

"But you have a custom that I should release unto you one at the passover; will ye therefore that I release unto you the King of the Jews?" As we know the Jews cried out saying, "Not this man but Barabbas" who was a robber. (John 18:33-40)

What is interesting here is that there was no accusation to bring against Jesus. Pilate had even gone out and asked the accusers, "What accusation bring ye against this man?" Their response was this. The Jews inferred that had Jesus not been a malefactor (or offender) they would not have delivered Him to Pilate. 

But Pilate knowing that no accusation had been made, told them to "Take ye Him and judge Him according to your Law." The Jews therefore said unto Pilate, "It is not lawful for us to put any man to death." This was stated so that the saying of Jesus signifying what death He should die might be fulfilled. But this is not the only time we read about Jesus speaking of His future. 

In Matthew 20:17-19, for example, Jesus was going up to Jerusalem with the twelve disciples. He said unto them, "Behold, we go up to Jerusalem and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priest and unto the scribes and they shall condemn Him to death ... and shall deliver Him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify Him, and the third day, He shall rise again." (Matthew 20:17-19)

A couple of chapters later, Jesus tells His disciples, "Ye know that after two days is the feast of the passover; and the Son of man is betrayed to be crucified." In John chapter three, Jesus again shares what is about to happen to Him. That is, "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up ... that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son ..." (John 3:14-16)

John chapter eight offers even more evidence. Jesus is saying to the Jews, "Whither I go, ye cannot come ... ye are from beneath. I am from above. Ye are of this world. I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you  that ye shall die in your sins; for if ye believe not that I am He, ye shall die in your sins." (John 8:20-24)

When the Jews asked Jesus, "Who art Thou?" Jesus replied, "Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning." Since the Jews did not understand that He spoke to them of the Father, He said unto them, "When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself, but as My Father hath taught Me, I speak these things. And He that sent Me is with Me, the Father hath not left Me alone, for I do always those things that please Him." (John 8:25-29)

By the time we read about Jesus in chapter twelve, things have changed. Jesus is declaring that "the hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified." (John 12:24) When Jesus had finished saying, "Father, glorify Thy name," and stopped speaking, what happens?

"Then came a voice from heaven, saying, "I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again." The people therefore, stood by and heard it, said that it thundered. Others said, "An angel spake to Him." (John 12:28-29) 

Jesus answered, and said, "This voice came not because of Me, but for your sakes. Now is the judgement of this world. Now shall the prince of this world be cast out. And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto Me."

Like many today, the people asked, "Who is this Son of man?" The same One who had performed the miracles before them and yet, did not believe on Him. This was in order that the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake: "Lord, who hath believed our report? And to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?" Therefore, they could not believe, because that Esaias said again, "He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them."

Don't be like the unbelievers of this day. Note that Jesus actually cried when He said, "He that believes on Me, believes not on Me, but on Him that sent Me. And He that sees Me sees Him that sent Me. I am come a light into the world that whosoever believes on Me shall not abide in darkness. And if any man hear My words, and believe not, I judge him not, for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world." (John 12:36-47) Now that is love!

Let him who hath an ear to hear, hear. Stand in the offering plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment