Sunday, March 8, 2020

My Strength, Says Jesus, Is Made Perfect In Weakness - Part 2475

Apostle Paul and Timothy are together writing to the church of God at Corinth and to all the saints which are all in all Achai-a. (II Corinthians 1:1) These write, "For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me." And Jesus said unto Paul, "My grace is sufficient for thee; for My strength is made perfect in weakness." (II Corinthians 12:8-9)

If you are like me, you've heard about the thorn in Paul's flesh more than once. Indeed, the thorn has been used often as an example for the struggles that we endure as believers. At other times, the thorn has been offered as a rationale for God not answering prayers -- as in Paul endured the thorn. But the scriptures must align -- because God is not the author of confusion -- so this day, we are going to investigate this passage of scripture, taking our understanding and context directly from the Word.

In the Bible, both old and new, the word thorn is found in the scriptures 54 times. There is only one reference regarding the thorn in the flesh in the new testament (the messenger of satan that buffeted Paul). From this particular scripture, there are not a lot of cross references to gain a more in-depth insight.

If we read II Corinthians 12 in context, there is yet another understanding worthy of consideration. Starting from the top, Paul is alluding to the numerous visions and revelations of the Lord, including knowing a man fourteen years prior, and how he was caught up into paradise. Paul writes, "It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory, I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord. I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago [whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell; God knows); such an one caught up to the third heaven. (Galatians 1:12; Galatians 2:2; Acts 22:17; II Corinthians 11:11)

"And I knew such a man (whether in the body or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knows); how that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter. Of such an one will I glory, yet of myself I will not glory but in mine infirmities. For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth, but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he sees me to be, or that he hears of me." (II Corinthians 12:1-6; 11 Corinthians 11:16)

It is important to establish here that Paul is warning believers "with godly jealousy" against false apostles and deceitful workers who are transforming themselves into false apostles, and that we are not to marvel, because satan himself ahas transformed himself into an angel of light.

"Therefore, it is no great thing if [satan's] ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness." (II Corinthians 11:15; II Corinthians 3:9) "For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ, whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly; and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)" (Philippians 3:19; Galatians 6:12; Romans16:18; II Peter 2:1)

Continuing, Paul points to glorying and how easy it might be for men to exalt him -- rather than Jesus as Lord God and Saviour. Another point worth noting here is that it took approximately 14 years for Paul to allude to this thorn -- past tense. "For this thing, I besought the Lord thrice that it might depart from me." (II Corinthians 12:8)

Up until this point, Paul states that though he desires to glory, he shall not be a fool -- "for I will say the truth, but now I forbear, lest any many should think of me above that which he sees me to be or that he hears of me. And lest I should be exalted above measure, through the abundance of revelations" [similar to the revelations cited above] "there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure." (II Corinthians 12:6-7; II Corinthians 11:16; Numbers 33:55; Ezekiel 28:24)

Numbers 33:55 is a one of two corresponding verses cited, which states, "But if ye will not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you; then it shall come to pass, that those which ye let remain of them shall be pricks in your eyes, and thorns in your sides, and it shall vex you in the land wherein ye dwell." From Ezekiel 28:24 -- "And there shall be no more a prickling brier upon the house of Israel, nor any grieving thorn of all that are round about them, that despised them; and they shall know that I AM the Lord God."

When we read Paul's account herein, he writes "there was given to me a thorn in the flesh" and that he had besought the Lord thrice that the thorn might depart from him. This scripture does not say the Lord gave him the thorn in the flesh. If we look at thorn in the flesh on the old testament side -- “Know for a certainty that the Lord your God will no more drive out any of these nations from before you; but they shall be snares and traps unto you, and scourges in your sides, and thorns in your eyes, until ye perish from off this good land which the Lord your God hath given you.” (Joshua 23:13)

Here, Joshua was referring to people as thorns, not diseases or infirmities as so many have been led to believe. In fact, as we know from reading further in Joshua, these were the heathens that the Israelites had to deal with as they entered into their promised land of Canaan. We see the same reference to people (not sickness as the thorn) in the book of Judges -- “Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you." (Judges 2:3)

Thus, when apostle Paul said that the thorn in the flesh was the messenger of satan -- "to buffet me" -- it was the false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ -- people who vexed him. 

"For ye suffer fools gladly ..." (II Corinthians 11:19)

You see, as Paul continues to say after Jesus said, "My grace is sufficient for thee; for My strength is made perfect in weakness," he goes on to explain the signs of a true apostle -- wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds, but not burdensome to you -- seeking not yours but you (your heart for Jesus), spending and being spent for the believing community -- not making gain of you. (II Corinthians 12:11-18) 

In context then, Paul is confirming that in calling out those who are false, there will be a battle -- but in all things, as those who believe already understand is that Jesus grace is sufficient for each and every one of us -- " for My strength is made perfect in weakness." This is why Paul could gladly glory in any infirmities, taking pleasure in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake -- because Paul had already proved (for 14 years) that when he is weak, then is He -- the Lord Jesus strong. (II Corinthians 12:9-10) 

God in Christ. (II Corinthians 12:19) 

"For though He was crucified through weakness, yet he lives by the power of God ... for we are also weak in Him, but we shall live with Him by the power of God toward you." (II Corinthians 13:4; Romans 1:4; Romans 6:4; I Peter 3:18) 

Read II Corinthians 12 for yourself -- and be pleasantly surprised (like apostle Paul) for the revelations you too will receive from the Lord Jesus, and know that He is the Great I AM who never leaves us nor forsakes us.

"We are fools for Christ's sake; but we are wise in Christ; we are weak, but Ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised." (I Corinthians 4:10)

Stand in the offering plate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment