Saturday, March 21, 2020

But In Understanding, Be Men - Part 2480

"What is it then? I will pray with the Spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the Spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. Else when thou shalt bless with the Spirit, how shall he that occupies the room of the unlearned say 'Amen' at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understand not what thou sayest? For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified." (I Corinthians 14:15-17)

Throughout the new testament scriptures, Jesus two commandments are repeated often. That is, to love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, with all thy mind, and with all thy strength ... and to love one another. (Deuteronomy 6:4; Mark 12:29-31) 

Apostle Paul is teaching concerning spiritual gifts -- so that we would not be ignorant, particularly those of us who were carried away unto dumb idols. But now Paul wants us to understand that no man speaking by the Spirit of God will call Jesus accursed, and likewise, no man can say that Jesus is the Lord but by the Holy Ghost. (I Corinthians 12:1-3) Paul also points out that if any think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, that he should acknowledge the things that he is writing to us are the commandments of the Lord. (I Corinthians 14:37)

I John 4:6 further clarifies this point -- should you be looking for a supporting / agreement scripture. "We are of God: he that knows God hears us; he that is not of God hears not us. Hereby know we the Spirit of truth, and the spirit of error."

Paul then goes onto specify the gifts, that the Lord gives to those who believe severally as He will, and that God hath set the members every one of them in the body as it has pleased Him. I Corinthians 13 is the charity (what some refer to as the love) chapter. By I Corinthians 14, Paul is instructing us to follow after charity, desiring spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy -- so the preaching of the good news gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ can continue to be proclaimed. 

Note the flow- through theme that is emerging herein? 

"But he that prophesies speaks unto men to edification and exhortation and comfort." (I Corinthians 14:3) 

With the gift of tongues (speaking in an unknown tongue / tongues of angels) we edify ourselves. However, when we prophesy, we edify the church. Paul states, "I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied ... for greater is he that prophesies than he that speaks with tongues, except he interpret -- that the church may receive edifying. (I Corinthians 14:5) 

"So likewise you, except ye utter by tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? For ye shall speak into the air." Thus, like the trumpet, pipe and harp analogy in I Corinthians 14:6-8, there has to be a distinction with so many kinds of voices in the word -- none of them without signification. "Therefore, if I know not he meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaks a barbarian, and he that speaks shall be a barbarian unto me." (I Corinthians 14:11)

But then Paul brings it full circle -- "Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of he church." (I Corinthians 14:12-14) 

This is why in all things that we do, we are to love one another -- to support and care for our neighbours so that they too can find understanding in the Lord Jesus. So when we pray with the Spirit, or sing with the Spirit, or bless with the Spirit, make sure that those who occupy the room -- including the unlearned -- can say Amen -- when you give thanks, and that he can do so because he/she understands.

Meditate on these things this day. Stand in the offering plate.


No comments:

Post a Comment