Wednesday, June 21, 2017

For We Are Made Partakers of Christ, If We Hold The Beginning Of Our Confidence Steadfast Unto The End - Part 1734

"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part, but when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known." (I Corinthians 13:9-12)

When we discuss the gifts of the Holy Ghost, the scriptures cited above are important. Herein, the scriptures state that "when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child. But when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass darkly, but then face to face. Now I know in part but then shall I know even as also I am known." 

If we add the often cited verse 13, we recognize that among faith, hope, and charity, the greatest of these is charity. There is a reason for this. 

However, opponents of the gifts of the Spirit look at this verse from a different lens. Instead of accepting that God will make everything clear when we see Him face to face, religious leaders interpret these scriptures to mean that since the scriptures have now come, there is no further requirement for the application of the gifts of the Holy Ghost. But how is it possible?

How can someone misconstrue the written Word to conjure up such a diametrically opposed rendition of that which these scriptures endeavour to present?

Indeed, the truth contained in the scriptures should be the the end to all spiritual debates.  Why? Because Thy Word is truth. (John 17:17) And God is NOT the Author of confusion. In fact, Christ loved the church and gave Himself for it "that He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the Word, that He might present it to Himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle , or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish." (Ephesians 5:25-27) In other words, l
et God be true and every man a liar.

For God’s Word did not originate in us. Rather, the Word of the Lord comes to us so that we might read the gospel and adhere to the message within. It was never intended that man would recreate the original meaning of the text or repeatedly revise the text to the point that we no longer understand what was intended.

As the scriptures state, we are to know ye the Spirit of God. (I John 4:1) when I became a man I put away childish things. (Admittedly, it may have been the childish things that enabled me to become whatever and whoever I am). In this context, one should never deprive children of childish things, nor rob a child of his or her childhood by forcing adult things upon childish minds prematurely. In the same fashion, Paul did not deprive the church of their God given ministerial gifts. The apostle simply informed the church that God is not the author of confusion. Paul further instructed that all things pertaining to the functioning of Holy Ghost gifts should be done decently and in order -- and for your edifying. (I Corinthians 14:26-33; I Corinthians 12:4-1314; II Corinthians 12:19; I Thessalonians 5:19-20; I Corinthians 11:16)


"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit. Despise not the prophesyings. Prove all things, Hold fast that which is good." (I Thessalonians 5:16-21)

For now then, as noted above, we do see through a glass darkly but then face to face. And thus, when we study the Bible, we should do so with humble hearts, knowing that we will never understand everything that is contained within His Word. Of course, the Lord knew this, which is why we receive another Comforter -- the Holy Ghost, who leads and guides us into all truth. So that the Lord can open our understanding of His Word. It also explains why, at this moment, we do see through a glass darkly even while we grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus.

Of course, if one has never received the holy Spirit of Jesus, it is difficult to understand Biblical truths, or to have an informed ability to discern between the truths and tradition. The scriptures use the analogy of people swallowing a camel because of their lack of knowledge in the scriptures. But it doesn't have to be this way. 


The question is asked -- have you received the Holy Ghost since you believed? If your answer is no, then you ought to repent, and be water baptized (by immersion) into the Name of the Lord Jesus the Christ. (Acts 2:36-38)  

Why? Because Jesus is the door into the kingdom of God and upon entering through the door you will receive the gift of His Holy Spirit. God bless all believers who are in Jesus. (John 14:6-12; I Timothy 3:16; Titus 3:4-7)

Stand in the offering plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment