Thursday, July 16, 2015

One Good Shepherd, One Fold! - Part 1153

"My little children, these things write I unto you that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father Jesus Christ -- the righteous, and He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for [the sins of] the whole world. And hereby we do know Him and keepeth His commandments. He that saith, "I know Him" and keepeth not His commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth His Word, in him verily is the love of God perfected; hereby know we that are in Him." (I John 2:1-5)

It seems that many believe in climbing to heaven through the back door, using another means to enter into heaven. Jesus speaks to this point after the Pharisees had asked, "Are we blind also?" Jesus said unto them, "If ye were blind, ye should have no sin, but now ye say, "We see" -- therefore, your sin remaineth." (John 9:40-41)

Jesus continues by stating, "Verily, verily, I say unto you. He that enters not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber ... but he that enters in by the door is the Shepherd of the sheep. To Him the porter opens, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name, and leads them out. And when he puts forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him; for they know not the voice of strangers." (John 10:1-5)

Note that Jesus spoke this parable unto the Pharisees, but they understood not what things they were which He spake unto them. So, Jesus began to clarify the meaning of the parable. He said, "Verily, verily, I say unto you -- I AM THE DOOR of the sheep. All that ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them." (John 10:7-8)

"I AM THE DOOR. By Me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out and find pasture. The thief cometh not but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I am come that they might have life and that they might have it more abundantly. I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD. The good Shepherd gives His life for the sheep." (John 10:9-11)

"But he that is an hireling," said Jesus, "and not the Shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf catches them, and scatters the sheep. The hireling flees because he is an hireling, and cares not for the sheep." (John 10:12-13)

"I am the Good Shepherd, and know My sheep, and am known of Mine. As the Father knoweth Me, even so know I the Father, and I lay down My life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear My voice; and there shall be one fold, and one Shepherd." (John 10:14-16)

Did you catch that? One Fold. One Shepherd.

And who is the Shepherd? Jesus the Christ.

How do we know? Jesus tells us so.

"Therefore doth My Father love Me, because I lay down My life, that I might take it again. No man takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of My Father." (John 10:17-18)

The problem that the religious culture of that time, and similarly, the modern day religious culture of this day is that neither chose to believe the words and/or witness of Jesus, as stated. Indeed, as a consequence of Jesus' teachings, there was yet another division among the Jews. Many accused Jesus of having a devil, and being mad." (John 10:19-22)

Sadly, the same thing is happening today, but instead of accusing Jesus outright of not being who He said He was, modern day religion is diligently trying to replace "One fold" and "One Shepherd" -- Jesus -- with a man-made doctrine referred to as the "five-fold" ministry. To justify this teaching, the religious culture tends to rely on two scriptures -- I Corinthians 12:28-30 and Ephesians 4:11-12.

"And God hath set some in the church -- first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. [Are] all apostles. [Are] all prophets. [Are] all teachers. [Are] all workers of miracles. Have all the gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?

"And He gave some apostles and some prophets and some evangelists and some pastors and teachers for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ." (Ephesians 4:11-12)

There are a couple of issues with this. First, as one can easily see, there are  more than "five" ministries cited between these two scriptural passage -- without taking into consideration that Jesus also said to each and every one of His chosen, "I have chosen you, and ordained you." (John 15:16) Second, Jesus is the One and Only Shepherd, the Chief Cornerstone, the Head of the body of Christ. (Colossians 1:18; Third, as Paul called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ points out -- "those [members] of the body which we think to be less honourable"  we are to "bestow more abundant honour, and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness. For our comely [parts] have no need, but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that [part] which lacked." (I Corinthians 12:23-24)

Too often, we hear from those who want to assert themselves as apostle, prophet and/or pastor, without these recognizing that the scriptures state we are to bestow MORE honour on those members of the body who lack.

Again, Jesus said, "I have chosen you and ordained you." (John 15:16)

"Ye have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in My name, He may give it you." (John 15:16)
In other words, there is a reason Jesus is the One Shepherd of One Fold. That is, so that we are not carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led -- as was the case when we were Gentiles. "Wherefore, I give you to understand that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost." (I Corinthians 12:1-3)

And thus, likewise, no one can distract us from the Good Shepherd who willingly laid down His life so that we might experience His abundance of love and grace.

I will leave this teaching here. A more comprehensive review of this message on One Shepherd -- One Fold will be provided tomorrow. For now, please take this opportunity to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ so that ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:37-42) Time is short.

Stand in the offering plate with Jesus the Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment