Monday, February 23, 2015

Blessed Is He That Cometh In The Name of The Lord - Part 1060

"Thou O King [art] a King of kings, for the God of heaven hath given Thee a kingdom, power, strength, and glory." (Daniel 2:37)

As believers in our Lord God and Saviour Jesus the Christ, and thus, likewise diligently seeking Jesus daily by faith, we should never be without. Why? Because Jesus told us that He would lead us and guide us into all knowledge and truth. Therefore, we should never be influenced by those "having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof .. for of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of truth." (II Timothy 3:5-7)

Sadly, this latter "religious" spirit was evident even in the old testament. Therein, the Lord asks, "To what purpose [is] the multitude of your sacrifices unto Me?"

Certainly an interesting question, and worthy to read again -- but the second time on a more personal level. The Lord's response is telling too.

"To what purpose [is] the multitude of your sacrifices unto Me? I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats." Rather, "when ye come to appear before Me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread My courts? Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto Me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot -- away with; it [is] iniquity, even the solemn meeting." (Isaiah 1:11-13)

(For those who may not know, the word oblation is defined as: 1. the act of making a religious offering; specifically capitalized: the act of offering the Eucharistic elements to God. 2. something offered in worship or devotion: a holy gift offered usually at an altar or shrine.)

A further reference from the old testament offers yet another telling example. The Lord speaks --"O priests, that despise My name." And ye say, "Wherein have we despised Thy name?" Ye offer polluted bread upon mine alter; and ye say, "Wherein have we polluted Thee?" In that ye say, "The table of the Lord is contemptible." And if ye offer the blind for sacrifice, [is it] not evil? And if ye offer the lame and sick, [is it] not evil? Offer it now unto thy governor; will he be pleased with thee, or accept thy person?" saith the Lord of hosts. "And now I pray you, beseech God that He will be gracious unto us; this hath been by your means; will He regard your persons?" saith the Lord of hosts. "Who is [there] even among you that would shut the doors [for nought]? Neither do ye kindle [fire] on mine alter for nought. I have no pleasure in you," saith the Lord of Host, "neither will I accept an offering at your hand." (Malachi 1:6-9)

Perhaps, this summarizes why the Lord would tell His chosen people, "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself; but in Me [is] thine help. I will be thy King. Where [is any other] that may save thee in all thy cities?" (Hosea 13:9-10)

You see, in spite of our Lord God's willingness to walk in the cool of the day with His chosen people, we read in the old covenant that His people rejected our Lord God and Saviour Jesus the Christ, preferring instead to crucify Him on a cross. Still, in spite of this cruel rejection, He who knew no sin willingly "gave Himself for our sins so that He might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father, to whom [be] glory for ever and ever." (Galatians 1:3-5)

And showing His abundance of love to us further, the Lord said He would give us the wisdom and knowledge we need to get through each and every day. Indeed, Jesus said He would never leave us nor forsake us. To this end, He gave us His Word so that when we don't understand what we are reading, He can reveal to us His understanding. (John 1:1-18)

Admittedly, unless we are familiar with the legalistic requirements of the old covenant, we struggle with the above scriptural passages that refer to sacrifices, new moons, the calling of assemblies and iniquity. But nevertheless, what we do understand in this current dispensation of grace is the Lord's question that transcends both the old and the new covenants. That is, "To what purpose [is] the multitude of your sacrifices unto Me?"

Paul took this thought one step further when he wrote: "Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live [of the things] of the temple? And they which wait at the alter are partakers with the alter? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel. But I [Paul] have used none of these things, for [it were] better for me to die than that any man should make my glorifying void. For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of; for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel." (I Corinthians 9:13-16)

How humble we should be, for there really isn't anything in this world -- not our possessions, not our wealth, not our material abundance -- not any earthly thing that is worthy of proclaiming in glory. Nevertheless, our hope is not in this world, and neither of this world. Rather, our hearts and minds should be on spiritual matters -- Jesus and His kingdom.

"What is my reward then?" [Verily] that, when I preach the gospel I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel. For though I be free from all [men], yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more ... and this I do for the gospel's sake that I might be partaker thereof with [you]." (I Corinthians 9:18-23)

"Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they [do it] to obtain a corruptible crown' but we an uncorruptible." (I Corinthians 9:24-27)

Stand in the offering plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment