Monday, January 27, 2014

He That Follows Me Shall Not Walk in Darkness - Part 803

Paul wrote: "But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught [it], but by the revelation of Jesus Christ." (Galatians 1:11-12)
In this post, we continue searching the scriptures to show how conviction only applies to unbelievers -- the ungodly -- in this current dispensation of grace. In other words, conviction or being convicted (pricked in your heart and/or convicted in your conscience) is for those who have not yet come to know Jesus as their personal Lord and Saviour. In a similar way, conviction is also associated with the end times, when Jesus returns to execute judgement on ungodly sinners who have rejected Him.
"To execute judgement upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard [speeches] which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him." (Jude 1:15)
To believe otherwise would suggest that the Comforter who has taken His rightful position in our hearts, minds and soul as a consequence of our belief in Jesus and His righteousness, does not indeed comfort. That premise -- as we have already read from the scriptures in earlier posts -- would be completely contrary to the Word. 
Unfortunately, the devil has been able to convince some believers that they are not fully redeemed by the precious blood that He Himself who knew no sin shed on the cross for us. These same tend to believe that salvation comes because of something they personally do -- whether it be through good works, or "right living" or clean living, or striving to "just do things right" by doing the best they can, etc. 
But as the Bible makes very clear, a multiplicity of good works -- combined with good intentions -- and/or right living is not how we become saved. Reading from Romans chapter three:
"Both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin. As it is written, "There is none righteous, no, not one." There is none that understandeth. There is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way. They are together become unprofitable. There is none that doeth good, no, not one. Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips, whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness. Their feet are swift to shed blood. Destruction and misery are in their ways, and the way of peace have they not known. There is no fear of God before their eyes. Now we know that what things soever the Law saith, it saith to them who are under the Law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God." (Romans 3:9-19)

This is the starting point for each and every one of us. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Indeed, by virtue of birth, we have deviated from the laws of God that were written in our hearts. Therefore, as unbelievers, we stand condemned because of the judgement that was exercised when Adam and Eve chose to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the Garden. The world could have ended here.

But in spite of Adam and Eve's transgression, our Lord God loved His children. We were His blessed creation. He did not want any of us to perish. Not one. So, even before the earth was formed, God decided to willingly become our Saviour.  

Hence, it was declared from the beginning that the Christ -- Jesus -- God Almighty in the flesh -- would become as one of us, shedding His precious blood on the cross so that we might be saved. (John 1:1-18)

"That whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved. He that believeth on Him is not condemned: but He that believeth not is condemned already, because He hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." (John 3:16-18) 

"And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God." (John 3:15-21)

In John chapter eight, Jesus elaborates on the difference between those who believe and are set free and those who do not. He reveals that when the Comforter comes, we shall have the light of life. We shall know the truth and that His truth shall set us free. We will walk in His liberty. More importantly, we will no longer be servants of sin -- not because of what we do or try to do, but rather, because of what Jesus did for us on the cross. He paid the price for our sin once and for all. 

Herein, is our salvation. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God." (Ephesians 2:8-9) In other words, our sins have been washed clean by His precious blood. Jesus said, 

"I am the light of the world. He that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." (John 8:12)

But the Pharisees -- the unbelievers -- the ungodly who did not believe Jesus to be the prophesied Christ even then -- said unto Jesus, "Thou bearest record of thyself. Thy record is not true." 

Jesus, knowing their hearts and also knowing that the Pharisees did not believe in Him, said unto them, "Though I bear record of Myself, yet My record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go. Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man. And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent Me. It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true. I am One that bear witness of Myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of Me."

Then said they unto Him, "Where is thy Father?" Jesus answered, "Ye neither know Me, nor my Father. If ye had known Me, ye should have known my Father also."

These words spake Jesus in the treasury, as He taught in the temple. In spite of the inward desires of the Pharisees, no man laid hands on Him because His hour was not yet come. 

Then said Jesus again unto them, "I go My way, and ye shall seek Me, and shall die in your sins [because you have not believed in Me]. Whither I go, ye cannot come." Then said the Jews, "Will He kill himself? Because He saith, Whither I go, ye cannot come."

And Jesus said unto them, "Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am He, ye shall die in your sins."

Then said they unto Him, "Who art thou?" And Jesus saith unto them, "Even the same that I said unto you from the beginningI have many things to say and to judge of you, but He that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of Him."

They understood not that He spake to them of the Father. Then said Jesus unto them, "When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. And He that sent Me is with Me: the Father hath not left Me alone; for I do always those things that please Him."

As He spake these words, many believed on Him. Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on Him, "If ye continue in my Word, then are ye My disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

They answered Him, "We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man. How sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?"

Jesus answered them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin, and the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill Me, because My Word hath no place in you. I speak that which I have seen with My Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father."

They answered and said unto Him, "Abraham is our father." 

Jesus saith unto them, "If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham. But now ye seek to kill Me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God. This did not Abraham. Ye do the deeds of your father." 

Then said they to Him, "We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God."

Jesus said unto them, "If God were your Father, ye would love Me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but He sent Me. Why do ye not understand My speech? Even because ye cannot hear My Word. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. And because I tell you the truth, ye believe Me not. Which of you convinceth Me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe Me? He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God."

Then answered the Jews, and said unto Jesus, "Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?" Jesus answered, "I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour Me. And I seek not Mine own glory. There is one that seeketh and judgeth. Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep My saying, he shall never see death."

Then said the Jews unto Him, "Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep My saying, he shall never taste of death. Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?"

Jesus answered, "If I honour Myself, My honour is nothing: it is My Father that honoureth Me; of whom ye say, that He is your God: Yet ye have not known Him; but I know Him: and if I should say, I know Him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know Him, and keep His saying. Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day: and he saw it, and was glad."

Then said the Jews unto Him, "Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?" Jesus said unto them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."

Romans chapter three reiterates this point -- that those of us who believe in Jesus Christ by faith are similarly justified in His sight.

"Therefore, by the deeds of the Law there shall no flesh be justified in His sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets -- even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe." (Romans 3:20-22)

"For there is no difference: for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)

But when we believe in Jesus and seek His righteousness, we are "justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God ... To declare, I say, at this time His righteousness: that He might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." (Romans 3:24-26)

Therefore, "Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort [you] that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." (Jude 1:3) 
"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, [even] our faith." (I John 5:4) Unto the pure all things [are] pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving [is] nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled." (Titus 1:15)
"Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified." (Galatians 2:16)
But please, don't just believe me on these spiritual matters. Rather, "study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (II Timothy 2:15) Stand in the offering plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment