Tuesday, September 11, 2018

But After The Kindness And Love of God our Saviour Toward Man Appeared - Part 2152

"As is the earthy, such [are] they also that are earthy: and as [is] the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly ... and as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption ..." (I Corinthians 15:48-50)

Sometimes, when listening to sermons, I believe the point herein is far too often missed. That is, while we have been born in the image of the earthy, we bear the image of the heavenly when our hearts have turned to the Lord Jesus. For those who may not know -- this means repenting of our sins, believing on Jesus as both our Lord and Saviour AND in answer of a good conscience toward God, for the remission of sins, be water baptized in His Name -- the precious Name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Then will we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, becoming fully clothed in His righteousness. (Acts 2:36-41) The Light of our Lord God and Saviour Jesus the Christ shining from within, giving us strength to carry on in a world that is increasingly void of any Word.

Sadly though, sermons from the pulpits are increasingly being taught from an earthly perspective -- using worldly examples to capture our attention with a single scripture tacked on at the end. The question is this -- How does this align with Jesus' instruction -- "Give us this day our daily bread" -- when the Bread of Life is not even a focal point in an assembling of the saints forum? How do we who believe in Jesus by faith become nourished in the knowledge and wisdom that only the Lord can give us -- think Hosea 4:6 when the Lord saith, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge!"

I raise this issue because this past Sunday, I was privy to hearing about the top 20 movies of all time, and the attributes as well that lead to the making of a good movie. This sermon from the pulpit with the approval of a pastoral team too. [For scriptural clarity, allow me to point out that the word pastor is only used once in the New Testament, and that reference contested by some, so when I refer to pastor/pastoral team, I refer to the modern day religious terminology.]

Nevertheless, I learned about what makes the world tick. The sermon highlighting an example that hailed from the world ... a topic that could easily be addressed in any public forum. In fact, so much so, that there would be no offence -- other than some might not agree with the top movie choice of all time. But I digress.

In considering how our churches are changing -- in light of the scriptures and this recent sermon, I began to consider how we tend to speak from a "what-we-know" perspective. Thus, if my knowledge base is in the world and of the world, then I would readily cite examples from the world. Why? Because this is what I know. And if I were to be challenged on a given point, I could effectively respond.

But what if I am only in the world but not of this world, as the scripture declares? What happens when my heart is in the Lord, the heavenly, and as I become further grounded in the Word, the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches, coupled with the lusts of other things that (as Jesus points out) that may enter in and choke the Word so that I too become unfruitful -- should no longer be on my radar. (Mark 4:19) Rather, my desire being to know the manifold wisdom of God, and His abundant love for me. (Ephesians 3:10) For God so loved ... and that He is the Good Shepherd who died for His sheep, even whilst these/we were His enemies. (John 3:16; Psalm 23:1; John 10:11, 14-18)

Because in asking Jesus to be King of kings and Lord of lords in our lives, we have stepped into a higher calling, assured forevermore of the kindness and love of "God our Saviour toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; which He shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; that being justified by His grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life." (Titus 3:4-7) And that this same "Lord shall deliver [us] from every evil work, and will preserve [us] unto His heavenly kingdom: to whom [be] glory for ever and ever. Amen." (II Timothy 4:18)

How is this reconciled in the scriptures?

"Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought ..." (I Corinthians 2:6)

"Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?" (I Corinthians 1:20)
And, as apostle Paul further instructs (Paul the apostle to the Gentiles) he "kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publicly, and from house to house ..." (Acts 20:20)

This is why we who believe are called to "avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the Law; for they are unprofitable and vain." (Titus 3:1-15) But also because when we pursue the Lord Jesus with all our hearts, souls, minds, and strength, and become armoured with the Word of God, we will know that there is no higher calling than to speak about His goodness and grace and mercy! No other purpose worth pursuing. No other meat that is going to satisfy, regardless of how the tale is spun from current day pulpits. In this context, we may be in the world but we are not of this world. If only those in positions of leadership understood the injustice that these are doing, in not feeding His lambs. (John 21:15)

As Jesus so clearly saith:

"I am the Good Shepherd: the Good Shepherd gives His life for the sheep.

But he that is an hireling, and not the Shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep, and flees: and the wolf catches them, and scatters the sheep. The hireling flees, because he is an hireling, and cares not for the sheep.

I am the Good Shepherd, and know My sheep, and am known of Mine.

As the Father knows Me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down My life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear My voice; and there shall be One fold, [and] One Shepherd. Therefore, doth My Father love Me, because I lay down My life, that I might take it again.

No man takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father." (John 10:11-18)

Let those with ears to hear, hear and understand what the Lord desires for us this day. Take hold of His truths and don't ever let go. Stand in the offering plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment