Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Peace of God Which Passes All Understanding Shall Keep Your Hearts and Minds Through Christ Jesus - Part 1076

Judas the brother of James (not Iscariot) saith unto Jesus, "Lord, how is it that Thou wilt manifest Thyself unto us and not the world?" (John 14:22)

Up until this point, Jesus had constantly been surrounded by multitudes seeking to touch Him at any given moment. Now, the situation was considerably different. The scribes and Pharisees were seeking to kill Him. In terms of time, it was just before the feast of the Passover. Jesus knew that the hour was coming when He should depart out of this world unto the Father -- having loved His own which were in the world -- "He loved them unto the end." (John 13:1)

By now Jesus already knew who would betray Him. The devil having now put into the heart of Judas surnamed Iscariot  (being of the number of the twelve) to betray Him. (John 13:2, 24-30; Luke 22:3) And He told His disciples, "He it is to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped [it]." (John 13:26) So, for those who were paying attention, the identity of the traitor should have been obvious, But as we read, this wasn't the case.

So, when supper ended, "Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He was come from God, and went to God" rose from the table to wash the disciple's feet. (John 13:2-11) After He had washed their feet, and had taken His garments, and was set down again, Jesus said unto them, "Know ye what I have done to you? Ye call me Master and Lord, and ye say well, for [so] I am. If I then, [your] Lord and Master have washed your feet, ye also ought to wash one another's feet ... for I have given you an example that ye should do as I have done to you ...

Verily, verily, I say unto you, "The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than He that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them." I speak not of you all -- I know whom I have chosen but that the scripture may be fulfilled -- "He that eateth bread with Me hath lifted up his heel against Me." Now I tell you before it come,, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am [He]. Verily, verily, I say unto you -- He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth Me, and he that receiveth Me receiveth Him that sent Me." (John 13:2-20)

For the moment, let's work through these scriptures. Earlier in John, Jesus proclaimed to the scribes and Pharisees, "If God were your Father, ye would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God. Neither came I of Myself but He sent Me. Why do you not understand My speech?" Note Jesus' response -- "[Even] because ye cannot hear My Word." (John 8:42-43)

Herein, Jesus was setting the stage for what was to come. A similar example can be found when the Jews marvelled, asking, "How knowest this man letters, having never learned?" Jesus answered them, saying: "My doctrine is not Mine but His that sent Me. If any man will do His will, He shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or [whether] I speak of Myself. He that speaketh of himself, seeketh his own glory; but He that seeketh His glory that sent Him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in Him. Did not Moses give you the law, and [yet] none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill Me?" (John 7:15-19)

Jesus also said, "And I seek not Mine own glory, there is One that seeketh and judgeth." (John 8:50)

Jesus further clarified these teachings when He said, "I receive not honour from men but I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. I am come in My Father's name, and ye receive Me not, If another shall come in His own name, Him will ye receive. How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that [cometh] from God only.? Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father; there is [one] that accuseth you [even] Moses, in whom ye trust ... for had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed Me, for He wrote of Me. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe My words?" (John 5:41-47)

"For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God." (John 12:43)

In other words, hath not the potter power over the clay? Therefore, the servant is not greater than his Lord, and neither is his works greater than the Lord who sent him. Likewise, the writings of others should not supersede the writings contained within His Word. The difficulty is -- there are those within our modern day religious culture who really believe in their hearts that their written and spoken words are more effective than the Bible which contains the words of our Lord God and Saviour Jesus the Christ.

But don't be misled. Ask yourself the same question as James' brother Judas did -- "Lord, how is it that Thou wilt manifest Thyself unto us and not the world?" (John 14:22)

Jesus said, "If a man love Me, he will keep My words, and My Father will love him and we will come into Him and make our abode with him. He that loves Me not keeps not My sayings; and the word which ye hear is not Mine, but the Father's which sent Me. These things have I spoken unto you being [yet] present with you -- but the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." (John 14:23-26)

This is why it is so critical that we read and study Jesus' teachings. And similarly the writings of the other apostles, remaining steadfast in the apostles' doctrine. (Acts 2:37-42) In particular, because of what is written here today, note the words of Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ to the saints and faithful brethren in Christ who wrote: "For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the Spirit, joying and beholding your order and the steadfastness of your faith in Christ. As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, [so] walk ye in Him -- rooted and built up in Him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving." (Colossians 2:5-7)

"And the peace of God which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7) Let him who hath an ear to hear, hear. Stand in the offering plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment